Failed install guestadditions 5.1.2

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jrc55
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: winxp, fedora16

Failed install guestadditions 5.1.2

Post by jrc55 »

With a working 5.1.0 guest I tried the guest 5.1.2 upgrade with the command I've run dozens of times in the past .....
sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
but it hangs on ...
Removing installed version 5.1.0 of VirtualBox Guest Additions ....

I've tried booting into a command line session and running ...
/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.1.0/uninstall.sh
but it hangs in the same place.

I've been running VirtualBox for a few years now and this is a first.
Host is Win 10 64bit.
16 gig of memory.
Guest Fedora 24 64bit... with 3gb memory .... recent kernel 4.6.3 ... xorg at 1.18.3 ... no 3d accelration
It was running VB 5.1.0 without any (known) problems.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
John
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: Failed install guestadditions 5.1.2

Post by frank »

Could you do the following as root:

Code: Select all

strace -f -s128 -o log.txt /opt/VirtualBox/uninstall.sh
and attach the resulting log.txt here?
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

My request would be:

sh -x /opt/VirtualBox/uninstall.sh > log.txt 2>&1
If you feel up to it, you could also try running sub-commands using

sh -x
to see what they are doing.
robatino

Post by robatino »

Experiencing the same problem with a Fedora 24 host and Fedora Rawhide guest. During the "hang", if I open a VT and run top, it shows dracut running. Looking in /boot, it's creating initramfs files for kernels I don't even have installed. My installed kernels are

4.6.0-1.fc25.x86_64
4.7.0-0.rc7.git3.1.fc25.x86_64
4.7.0-0.rc7.git4.1.fc25.x86_64

and I'm currently running the 4.6.0 kernel. In /boot, there should only be 4 initramfs files - one for each of the above kernels, plus the rescue kernel. But for some reason it's creating additional initramfs files

initramfs-4.5.0-0.rc7.git0.2.fc24.x86_64.img
initramfs-4.6.0-0.rc0.git11.1.fc25.x86_64.img

and two others as I speak. Each time I attempt to install the guest additions again, it recreates each of the above in sequence (the mtime is updated). I ran

strace -f -s128 -o log.txt /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.1.0/uninstall.sh
and by the time I finished typing and checked, and then killed it with kill -9 (regular kill doesn't work), log.txt was over 500M. How much do you need so I can truncate it?
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Did you run the "sh -x"? That is usually the handiest thing for debugging shell scripts.
robatino

Post by robatino »

michael wrote:Did you run the "sh -x"? That is usually the handiest thing for debugging shell scripts.
I'm running it now, but so far it's only up to 1266 bytes and it's not changing, though it's now running dracut. Given that it will either not complete or it will take a ridiculously long time, it's probably buffering and if I kill it it may be truncated. Is there a way to get unbuffered output so when I kill it it will show everything up to that point?
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Actually this should be fixed in 5.1.2. But if you have an older version installed it will trigger while you are uninstalling that. After that you should hopefully never see it again.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

You could always post the output so far...
robatino

Post by robatino »

michael wrote:You could always post the output so far...
Attachments
log.txt
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
robatino

Post by robatino »

michael wrote:Actually this should be fixed in 5.1.2. But if you have an older version installed it will trigger while you are uninstalling that. After that you should hopefully never see it again.
OK, that's great but then how do I manually clean up my 5.1.0 guest additions to verify that and get past this problem?
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

The sledgehammer way is to interrupt the uninstallation. When the new installer sees that there is a partially removed installation it will try to clean up itself, and normally does it pretty well. (That particular functionality is quite well tested as you might imagine.)
robatino

Post by robatino »

michael wrote:The sledgehammer way is to interrupt the uninstallation. When the new installer sees that there is a partially removed installation it will try to clean up itself, and normally does it pretty well. (That particular functionality is quite well tested as you might imagine.)
Been there, done that. Remember, I've had to kill it before since it never finished. When I restart it, it just does the same thing again. The only time it worked properly was when I installed 5.1.0 for the first time, and it removed the old 5.0.24 GA.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Just looked at your log, in case this is not the issue I think it is. I see that it is hanging executing "/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.1.0/init/vboxadd cleanup". The way to continue would be to run that command with "sh -x" (and possibly sudo) in front of it. Unfortunately shell debug output does not extend to scripts that the debugged script executes.
robatino

Post by robatino »

michael wrote:Just looked at your log, in case this is not the issue I think it is. I see that it is hanging executing "/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.1.0/init/vboxadd cleanup". The way to continue would be to run that command with "sh -x" (and possibly sudo) in front of it. Unfortunately shell debug output does not extend to scripts that the debugged script executes.
Here's output so far (file still growing, but slowly). I'm guessing it should be enough to see what's going on. I'll let it run a while longer, so let me know if it's not.

Edit: Just in case it matters, I'm currently running 5.1.2, trying to remove the 5.1.0 GA.
Attachments
log.txt
output of "sh -x /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.1.0/init/vboxadd cleanup > log.txt 2>&1"
(15.08 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

That definitely looks like one of the bugs that I fixed in 5.1.2. Just to be sure, if you abort everything and delete /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-<whatever>/uninstall.sh before installing 5.1.2 does the problem still occur?