Internal network not working properly

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
xxdochousexx

Internal network not working properly

Post by xxdochousexx »

Hello,

As per the post subject i have some weird issues with the internal networking here on virtualbox. I am using Arch linux and my virtualbox version is 5.0.24_OSE r108355.

Let me explain the problem: i wanted to simulate a very small virtual LAN environment with: Univention as domain controller and network services machine (DNS/DHCP), PFSense as firewall, a windows 7 client, an ubuntu 14.04 with Zimbra as groupware.

Now, while creating the machines i have created "intnet1" and set it up as internal network for all the machines (the wan side of the firewall is bridged to my physical eth). All the host can ping each other and everything seems to work but Univention corporate server cannot ping any other host in the internal network "intnet1" and i find it weird as it was working 2 days ago. The ubuntu machine and windows 7 machine can ping the Univention server and they also receive their IP from the DHCP server in Univention.

the IP range of this virtual environment is 10.250.250.X the firewall is 10.250.250.254 whilest univention is 10.250.250.253. I have tried everything besides reinstalling as it was working like 2 days ago.

I do not understand what i am doing wrong. Is there a host limit to the internal networks? What am i doing wrong?

If you have questions please don't hesitate to ask

Thanks in advance

Giulio
xxdochousexx

Re: Internal network not working properly

Post by xxdochousexx »

up?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Internal network not working properly

Post by Perryg »

It's difficult to say because of some of the terminology and the fact that we have no idea what was changed between the time it worked and when it failed.
First the whole host thing you describe. I assume you mean guests since there is only one host, the main PC, do clarify that to eliminate wasted time. Next you need to determine what changed since it was working and then failed, but I suspect a configuration issue of some kind or an update that has caused you to need to revisit some setting. Unfortunately this is something that you will need to investigate since we do not have your same setup. Also regarding the OSE install. This makes it even harder since we do not support that here, but I do not suspect that to be your main issue at this point.