Software rendering mode even though 3D acc. is enabled

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
dvdgrb

Software rendering mode even though 3D acc. is enabled

Post by dvdgrb »

I've installed Virtualbox 5.0.24 today on a Windows 7 OS.
As a VM OS I installed Linux MINT 18 32bit.

I've also enabled 3D acceleration in the host settings but unfortunately, when running MINT, I get the error
"Running in software rendering mode, Cinnamon is currently running without video hardware acceleration and, as a result, you may observe much higher than normal CPU usage. There could be a problem.. etc."

I have been looking around in the forums and it seems that most people who encountered this error got rid of it by setting the check mark at 3D acceleration. Unfortunately, in my case, this didn't solve the issue. I've also been following the instructions I have found here (I cannot post URLs as I have to be a member for 1 day), but this didn't solve my problem either.

I should mention that I use 128 MB of graphics memory (the max possible) and I am using two monitors.

I apologize in advance if this problem was solved elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.
If you need me to send some logs just let me know how and which ones (a bit of a linux noob here... :? )
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Software rendering mode even though 3D acc. is enabled

Post by Perryg »

Did you install the guest additions ( in the guest )?
Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.

Moved to Linux guest.
dvdgrb

Post by dvdgrb »

Thanks for trying to help.
After a reboot, and activation of the Virtualuzation tTechnology (VTx) in BIOS (and giving 2 cores to the virtualbox) everything seems to work just fine for the moment. I don't know what exactly solved the issue, though.
Nonetheless, I have attached the log. Maybe something is still a bit fishy. If you have time and could check it out, that'd be great.
Attachments
Linux Mint-2016-07-09-15-45-29.log
This is the VBox.log
(103.02 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
skubik

Post by skubik »

This seems similar to my problem getting Compiz to run on a Linux guest, except I'm running on a MacBook Pro. I'm still stuck with my problem but it's interesting to see a similar problem that has been "resolved."

You say you enabled VTx in the BIOS; are you talking your host system BIOS or the configuration for your VM?
My VM's Paravirtualization Interface is set to 'Default', but VT-x is listed under my VM's system acceleration, so I assume it's enabled.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@skubik
You have a totally different problem. Don't post on threads, just because they mention 3D acceleration and software rendering. You are using a custom, self-built one. The OP wasn't. As for your VT-x, you have a Mac. There is no BIOS and VT-x is always enabled.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.