Bug with guest additions? CentOS 7 fails to boot after update...

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
CapnTrippy

Bug with guest additions? CentOS 7 fails to boot after update...

Post by CapnTrippy »

...Installed an update to CentOS 7 running under Virtualbox 5.0.22 r108108, and the system fails to boot *after* the guest addition modules are installed.

So sequence of events is :-

-Boot CentOS, update, reboot. (has new kernel, 3.10.0-327.22.2.e17.x86_64)
-System boots. No guest addition modules loaded however and so no shared folders mounted.
-Installed guest additions.
-Shared folders are now mounted
-Reboot
-System fails to reach CentOS 7 desktop with a splash window saying 'Oh no something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please logout and try again. Logout' (Very fscking helpful. A button that said 'show me the error messages' would be useful here.)

-Reboot with previous kernel. (3.10.0-327.18.2.e17.x86_64)
-Boots to desktop, but no guest addition modules...Virtualbox kernel service is not running.

-Install guest additions get the following in the terminal window running the process :-
-dracut[4413] : Can't write to /boot/initramfs : Directory /boot/initramfs does not exist or is not accessible.
-Guest additions install however.

-Reboot with the old kernel still (3.10.0-327.18.2.e17.x86_64)
-Fails to reach desktop with above error.

-Reboot with newer kernel
-Fails to reach desktop.

-Reboot with even older kernel than above.
-Fails to reach desktop.

-Bumholes.

-Boot with rescue kernel image
-Fails to reach desktop.
-Double bumholes.

I've spent hours creating this image with a suite of bespoke scientific software installed. I've been lost for days down a maze of twisty passages fixing broken dependencies for legacy software made 5 years or more ago; I was on the last stretch when I thought it would be clever to update the system. I've got an image clone from the stage before last; so its not all lost....

However, any help with troubleshooting/fixing this would be appreciated! Otherwise I may just hit the problem again next time around.

I'm new to all the new fancy shmancy dracut stuff. When I were I lad I installed linux using floppies...

*edit*

OK. Booting and hitting 'e' at the grub menu and removing rghb and quiet from the options allows me to see the boot process scrolling past...Very quickly. No glaring errors I could see. Gets past the network initialisation goes to start windows...And fails...

Hitting Alt-F4 drops me to a command prompt. Dmseg doesn't show anything obvious. lsmod show the virtual box modules don't appear to be loaded.
Looking at /var/messages however shows SElinix is barfing up libEGL and libGL with
SElinux is preventing /usr/bin/gnome-session from read access on the link file libGL.so.1
(and liEGL.so.1 also)

So thats the problem then. How to fix *that*????

*edit*
Tried setting selinux to permissive and reboot. Still failed to start gnome and /var/messages is showing selinux errors to /var/lib/VboxGuestAdditions/libEGL.so.1. Disabling SELinux still doesn't allow gnome to work...
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Bug with guest additions? CentOS 7 fails to boot after update...

Post by Perryg »

I ran into this on OEL7 and had to install the 5.0.20 guest additions to get it back to a stable environment. Have not had time to figure out why yet. When in the oops screen drop to a tty and fix.
CapnTrippy

Post by CapnTrippy »

Ok, so it seems to be fixed... Although I'm running with selinux turned off... I may try and turn it on after I've finished my job and made a clone...

Installed latest virtual box released today, 5.024 and the extension pack.
-booted, failed to get to the desktop
-in the (root) command shell obtained by mashing alt-f4, installed the latest extension pack as root.
-startx
-Whoopee! It starts X!

-Reboot
-Double whoopee, it reaches the desktop!
VirtLover

Post by VirtLover »

Hello. I had the exact same problem, CentOS fails to boot after install of latest Guest Additions. I didn't understand the solution suggested, though. You repeated the install of Guest Additions as root after having VB do the first install?
How did you do that?
Thanks so much,
IMF
Ravenhall

Post by Ravenhall »

Can confirm on RHEL 7.2 as well. Install RHEL 7.2 - X is working fine without Guest Additions. Install Guest Additions, install succeeds, reboot sytem, when X starts, I get system dialog "Oh no! Something has gone wrong. Please log out." X is now a blank screen. It takes several tries but Ctl-Alt-F2 finally opens a virtual terminal. Crash incident case # 01665148 opened with RedHat. However, I strongly suspect the answer is going to be "It's not us, it's VirtualBox."

In /var/log/Xorg.0.log, I see the following errors:
(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so: Undefined symbol: _glapi_tls_Dispatch)
(EE) GLX: could not load software renderer

The rest of the log is normal, and X does appear to load, but without hardware or software rendering working, it isn't going to do diddly.

Can anyone explain why VirtualBox can't just allow the guest OS to use its own video drivers instead of insisting on using a pseudodriver?
Xeno84

Post by Xeno84 »

Hi guys,

I had the same exact issue with VirtualBox 5.1 after I installed the Guest Additions. I have disabled the HW 3D acceleration and it's working again.
I hope this helped

Regards
DinoT

Post by DinoT »

Hi guys,

I also had the exactly same problem, a freshly installed CentOS 7 in VirtualBox 5.0.26 fails to build VBox module after an update with the error message: the file /boot/initramfs- doesn't exist.
When I disable 3D acceleration, GNOME shell comes normally.
Now, I enabled the 3D acclereation and on another console compiled older Additions, 5.0.16, and voila - it works again.