Linux Ubuntu CPU error?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Waridis

Linux Ubuntu CPU error?

Post by Waridis »

I just downloaded Virtualbox to prep myself by getting familiar with the basics of Linux before starting my fall college course. Unfortunetly once I boot the OS I get an error with this message "This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - Please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU." I assumed the problem was somewhere in my CPU settings so I played around for awhile. With no success I deleted the VM and made a new one and still receiving the same error code. With that I am completely stuck and have no other idea's on what could be causing the booting error. If anyone is able to assist me please do, I am very grateful to any assistance I can receive from the community.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Linux Ubuntu CPU error?

Post by Perryg »

1) 64-bit guests need hardware-virtualzation enabled in the hosts bios.
2) when creating the 64-bit guest you must select 64-bit in General -> Basic -> version.
3) If running Windows as host you must make sure hyper-v or xp mode is not enabled on the host. MS does not play well and wants it all.
Elizine

Re: Linux Ubuntu CPU error?

Post by Elizine »

To be able to run a 64-bit OS in Virtual Box we have to make sure the virtual machine's architecture is set to 64-bit too.
  • Choose Ubuntu 64-bit in General -> Basic settings on creation of your VM.
  • In addition, for running 64-bit guests it is recommended to enable the Input/Output APIC in the System -> Motherboard settings for your virtual machine:
    In the System -> Acceleration tab we may want to enable the hardware virtualization features VT-x/AMD-V of your CPU.
  • On the host system we may have to enable hardware virtualization in the BIOS.
  • In some systems a host BIOS option to prevent non-trusted execution needs to be turned off.
bodHOST