Directory sharing: OSx Host, Oracle Linux guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
LarryW

Directory sharing: OSx Host, Oracle Linux guest

Post by LarryW »

My ultimate goal is create a functional virtual system: Oracle Linux 7.2, Oracle database XE, Apex 5.0.3 running under VirtualBox on Mac El Capitan host so I can replace really horrible desktop database applications such as FileMaker and MS Access (or worse, the use of Excel) with a real database backend and a reasonable front end. First problems encountered: I need to get file/directory sharing to work.

Given repeated failures to do so from scratch, I took the step to use an Oracle pre-built Developer VM -- the Service Delivery Platform (SDP) -- which gives me something close to what I ultimately want and which I know "works" at some basic level. Following SDP recommendations, I created OSX directory structures

Code: Select all

~/VMs/Images,~/VMs/Images, ~/VMs/ISOs, ~/VMs/Shared, ~/VMs/VBox
, where

~/VMs/Shared
will be the directory shared with guest Linux.

Out of the box, SDP isn't configured for sharing. Following the instructions, in Linux, I entered

sudo yum install dkms
-- it returned an error that yum could not find dkms.

With nothing to lose, I placed an alias of

VBoxGuestAdditions.iso 
into the

~/VMs/ISOs
, and assigned this image to the VirtualBox CD/DVD device. Linux prompted to run from this virtual CD and the guest additions seemed to have been installed. In VirtualBox 'Shared Folders' settings for this system the values: VMShared is assigned to /Users/wkr/VMs/Shared as Permanent, automount, Full access.

In Linux,

/mnt/shared
exists but is empty,

/media/sf_VMShared
but inaccessible: gives me "Permission Denied" on

cd /media/sf_VMShared
. Looking at permissions for this directory (

ls -l /media
, it shows

drwdrwx--- root vboxsf sf_VMShared

In this SDP VM, 'oracle' is the login user, and this login is not a member of the vboxsf group. Placing 'oracle' into the vboxsf group does not allow 'oracle' access either.

I'm at loss for what I need to do to resolve the issue of shareable files between OSX host and Linux guest.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Directory sharing: OSx Host, Oracle Linux guest

Post by Perryg »

Linux guest shared folders

Remove the auto-mount and use the manual mount instead. See above link for example.
LarryW

Re: Directory sharing: OSx Host, Oracle Linux guest

Post by LarryW »

Thanks. This link, finally, allowed me to correct the problem.

However, I ran into an error which as one of the Troubleshooting points, and the answer was unclear. Here is how this one problem answer would have been clearer to me.

Problem: Received a Protocol Error message

Answer: The share name and the mount point name must be different names. That is, if the share name is 'myshare', then the mount point name cannot be '~/myshare'. Change either the share name or the mount point name.