Resolution problem on linux guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
billrobb

Resolution problem on linux guest

Post by billrobb »

Hi,
I'm running 64-bit trisquel mini guest on a windows 10 host, and up until today everything worked fine.
But after updating virtualbox to 5.0.20 r106931, and my linux headers to 3.13.0-86-lowlatency, I installed the guest additions from the CD image,
and then when restatring the VM the resoultion went from the 1920*1080 I regularly use down to 800*600. I tried reinstalling the guest additions and rebooting but it didn't help.
What is causing this problem? Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Resolution problem on linux guest

Post by socratis »

Try to install VirtualBox Guest Additions 5.0.16. Download the ISO (http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 5.0.16.iso), mount it and install them as you did the 5.0.20 GAs. Please report back.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
billrobb

Post by billrobb »

It works perfectly. Thank you very much!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, now that I've helped you, I need your help too ;). I need you to try something very quick.

Can you install the 5.0.18 Guest Additions (GAs) from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 5.0.18.iso ? The reason is that we're in the process of investigating a "bug" in the GAs for Linux guests, specially the graphics. See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77771 and add your experience as well, if you feel like it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
billrobb

Post by billrobb »

I also replied in the other post, but after installing 5.0.18 the resolution problem returned
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thank you very much! And thank you for posting in the other thread as well! The more unique guests we have, the merrier...