Debian 8 freezes, usually after long terminal output

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
RanzQ

Debian 8 freezes, usually after long terminal output

Post by RanzQ »

Hi,

I'm having an issue that when I print something long to terminal the guest freezes, not completely but screen update goes to something like 0.1 fps. Sometimes it freezes randomly too but I've noticed that usually I have just outputted something long to terminal. I'm using urxvt.

Host:
RAM: 32 GB
CPU: i7 2600k, 8 virtual cores
Virtualbox version 5.0.20 r106931 w/ extension pack

Guest:
RAM: 8 GB
CPU: 4 cores
Guest additions installed

Not sure if this is VBox related issue but it started happening after I updated to 5.0.20. Any idea what might cause this kind of problem?
Attachments
Debian-2016-05-21-09-35-53.log
(98.22 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Debian 8 freezes, usually after long terminal output

Post by mpack »

Your CPU has 4 cores, not 8. Don't give more than 3 to the guest, I'd suggest 2.

Whether this is your only problem, I don't know. It's the only thing I see that might affect graphics scrolling.
RanzQ

Post by RanzQ »

I've had no issues earlier, and I like having multiple CPUs when building stuff. I was having this mouse issue (forum 3 thread 77605, can't post the link sorry) too, so I downgraded to 5.0.14.

No freezes so far, tried outputting thousands of lines in terminal. With 5.0.20 that usually froze the guest.
RanzQ

Post by RanzQ »

Any thoughts if this should be fixed in 5.0.26? I haven't upgraded from 5.0.14 yet. If there's a change that might fix this, I can try. At least the mouse issue has been fixed.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

RanzQ wrote:If there's a change that might fix this, I can try.
Since there has not been a bug number referenced, the only thing that I can suggest is to look at the changelog from your current version onwards. Here is the changelog for the 5.1.x series and the one for the 5.0.x series. If you see something that fits your problem, you have nothing to lose by trying it, except the time required to uninstall/install VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.