Hard disk resizing applied or not ?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
PradeepCh

Hard disk resizing applied or not ?

Post by PradeepCh »

I have Windows 7 Host and Linux Ubuntu as Guest OS.

I re-sized the hard disk size to 97.66 GB from initial 25 GB.

When I open the Virtual Box settings, under storage, I see the Virtual size of .vdi file as 97.66 GB, actual size as 8.68 GB.

Now, after opening the Guest Os(Ubuntu), I right clicked on home folder and Properties to see the size of the home folder i guess, it shows as 17.3 GB free.
Does it mean I do not have 97.66 GB space that I resized ?

Thanks,
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Hard disk resizing applied or not ?

Post by mpack »

Howto: Resize a Virtual Drive.

Pay attention to the later parts of the FAQ.
PradeepCh

Post by PradeepCh »

I resized using the below youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqK3cDLiMJU

I think he has covered only the step 1 in your link.
I did not understand step 2.

Please help me docode that.

Thanks,
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Sorry, but the whole reason for putting it in a FAQ is so that we don't have to repeat it for every individual Tom, Dick and Pradeep that comes along. What don't you understand? In fact, don't bother trying to understand it, IMHO the instructions are quite explicit - just follow them.

p.s. If the YouTube tutorial left out step 2 then it isn't a tutorial, as the process can't work without it. Perhaps you can find a better one.
PradeepCh

Post by PradeepCh »

What is primary partition?

Looks like I need to mount the .iso image that I get from Gparted Live CD to a directory in the guest OS and boot the guest from that directory I suppose.

Thanks,
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

An operating system doesn't typically use the entire drive for storage. It uses designated portions of the drive, those portions are called partitions. There is a table at the beginning of the drive which lists all of the partitions on the drive. The primary partition is the one containing your guest OS.

Linux OS's typically divide the drive into a system (or primary) partition, and a hidden "swap partition" used to supplement available RAM. The primary partition in Linux usually contains a filesystem such as EXTx. Hopefully the partition table uses MBR format. If you have an LVM installed then you'll have to read the LVM documentation.

In fact none of this is really a VirtualBox question. You asked for a larger drive, you got one. That's VirtualBox's job done. Now your problem is an Ubuntu one: how to get Ubuntu to use the extra space on a larger drive when the drive is replace after the OS is installed? The answer to that is the GParted live CD.

You mount the ISO in the virtual CD drive and boot from it. See the Devices menu when the VM is running, or the Storage panel in the VM settings if the VM is shut down. Shut down does not mean suspended.