[Solved] Guest Ubuntu 16/14 on VBox 5 hosted on Centos 7.2

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
louarnold
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by louarnold »

I'm here for help with booting Ubuntu Desktop 16.0.4 on VBox 5 hosted on Centos 7.2.
The Ubuntu ISO is on the hard drive, and not on a DVD. On the Ubuntu boot the client window goes to rows of coloured vertical lines. Info on this problem exists on line, but no cause and no reliable solution is given.

Note: The VM Manager Settings shows Storage tree as Controller IDE pointing to the ISO, but with Attrbutes listed for an Optical drive, yet it seems to find the ISO and boot from it. Must the ISO really be on DVD? (Ubuntu forums suggests not.)

Regards,
Lou.
Last edited by louarnold on 13. May 2016, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Help: Guest Ubuntu 16 on VBox 5 hosted on Centos 7.2

Post by Perryg »

Post a screen shot of the guest so we can see it, but it sounds like you are having an issue with the video. If that is the case you can use the Host+F1 to drop to a tty window and then the Host+F7 to re-enter the gui window. It should clear up the screen if that is the case.
louarnold

Post by louarnold »

The example of the lines are in this post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64402

However, I don't think its a video problem. I managed to get everything working just once, by fooling with the boot order and the type of drives (took away optical IDE) and turned on EFI. Suddenly I got a chance to pick a "Try a live system...", and a full screen with application icons down the LHS. I tried reversing the changes, but now can't reproduce the successful trial.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Did you follow my suggestion?
louarnold

Post by louarnold »

Perryg wrote:Did you follow my suggestion?
Yes, Host-F1 and F7 didn't work at all.
There are some other issues that I got from the Ubuntu forum.

1) There is an issue with Ubuntu versions being too new for VB 5. I have taken it back to Ubuntu 14 and will try that soon.
2) The seems to be a missing module "dkms" in CentOS 7 and one called VirtualBox-dkms. These didn't get downloaded with the rest of VB, and I can't get these anywhere. Neither the RPMForge or VirtualBox repos seem to find them, despite being enabled.

Code: Select all

[root@shoe ~]# yum install dkms
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, refresh-packagekit, remove-with-leaves
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: centos.mirror.rafal.ca
 * extras: centos.mirror.rafal.ca
 * fasttrack: mirror.netflash.net
 * nux-dextop: mirror.li.nux.ro
 * nux-misc: mirror.li.nux.ro
 * rpmforge: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
 * rpmforge-extras: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
 * updates: less.cogeco.net
No package dkms available.
Error: Nothing to do
[root@shoe ~]# yum install virtualbox-dkms
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, refresh-packagekit, remove-with-leaves
No package virtualbox-dkms available.
Error: Nothing to do
[root@shoe ~]# yum --enablerepo rpmforge install dkms
No package dkms available.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

DKMS is helpful but not at all a must have. You can however get it from the source if you desire. http://linux.dell.com/dkms/
Also virtualbox-dkms is not a VirtualBox package. It is meant to be used with the distro fork only.
louarnold

Post by louarnold »

OH Kayeeeeee. Its working. The VB was set up to have the IDE controller attached to a V14 ISO file (and not the V16 ISO). I need an explanation of that controller concept, and a better suggestion (ex: the ISO attached to the SATA controller).

The machine starts, the tty screen comes up, and at the bottom what looks like a button icon and a person in a circle. I left everything untouched, and then the "Ubuntu 14.04" and rolling dots screen comes up; the smbus error comes up which I ignore. Then the Ubuntu screen (orange at bottom left darkening towards the upper right). A menu bar appears at the top of the screen. The next window offers to let you try or install Ubuntu. I left things there. It seems that every new boot needs to be told the boot device that should be used. Please provide some explanation of how to solve this matter.

For the dkms module issue, I ran the commands in this page (https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7536) comment #32. But I'm not sure how successful that was at giving me DKMS, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

For the machine tuning part, I'll start another thread
Lou.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Guest Ubuntu 16/14 on VBox 5 hosted on Centos 7.2

Post by Perryg »

It seems that every new boot needs to be told the boot device that should be used. Please provide some explanation of how to solve this matter.
You would need to explain this in more detail. If you mean that it wants to start the install over on reboot then just as on metal you need to remove the install media from the virtual drive.