Kali Error

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
JeremyZ

Kali Error

Post by JeremyZ »

I am trying to create a VM with the latest Kali OS and I am getting version errors. I have watched videos on YouTube that show people installing the same version of Kali as I am on VirtualBox and having no difficulty and I even followed along yet received the same error.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Kali_Error.JPG
Kali_Error.JPG (69.38 KiB) Viewed 3298 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Kali Error

Post by Perryg »

1) 64-bit guests need hardware-virtualzation enabled in the hosts bios.
2) when creating the 64-bit guest you must select 64-bit in General -> Basic -> version.
3) If running Windows as host you must make sure hyper-v or xp mode is not enabled on the host. MS does not play well and wants it all.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

In addition to what Perry said, "cannot get storage format of <ISO file>" usually means that it isn't an ISO file, at least not a complete one. I'd download it again, and this time check the MD5 sum.
anotheruser123

Post by anotheruser123 »

If either of the above don't work, try using the prebuilt Kali VirtualBox image. I can't post the link since I'm a new user, but if you google "Kali Virtualbox" it's one of the first links, with the title "Kali Linux Custom Images Download - Offensive Security"
JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

Still running into this issue. Answers in-line

1) 64-bit guests need hardware-virtualzation enabled in the hosts bios. Both Intel Virtualization Technology and Intel VT-d Feature are enabled
2) when creating the 64-bit guest you must select 64-bit in General -> Basic -> version. Not sure what you mean by this but when I created the VM I chose Linux / Other Linux (64-bit)
3) If running Windows as host you must make sure hyper-v or xp mode is not enabled on the host. MS does not play well and wants it all. When I disabled Hyper-V, I was given an "Invalid Settings Detected" error

In addition to what Perry said, "cannot get storage format of <ISO file>" usually means that it isn't an ISO file, at least not a complete one. I'd download it again, and this time check the MD5 sum. Had this issue, however I finally got a clean, complete download. Checked the MD5 sums and they matched.

Only reason I haven't downloaded the VM image is A) that is the easy way out B) not sure how to get it in to VB on my host (Win7). Thought it was like REMnux where you can download, double-click and it open and start for you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

JeremyZ wrote:Had this issue, however I finally got a clean, complete download. Checked the MD5 sums and they matched.
So, what happened when you tried to boot with the correct ISO? Did it work?

PS. It might be worth it to take a look at the
tag instead of the [color="Fire Red"] tag. It kind of hurts the pixels in my monitor ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

Still getting the same issues as shown in the snip.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment ). Right click on the guest in the Main Manager then click show log. Save and post as an attachment. Compress if it is too large to post.
JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

To all of you I apologize. I got it to work some how, not sure what I was doing wrong, maybe it was one of those things that "finally worked" or whatever.

I appreciate all of the suggestions that yall posted!
anotheruser123

Post by anotheruser123 »

I'm glad you got it working, but I wanted to address this:
JeremyZ wrote:Only reason I haven't downloaded the VM image is A) that is the easy way out B) not sure how to get it in to VB on my host (Win7). Thought it was like REMnux where you can download, double-click and it open and start for you.
All you need to do is open VirtualBox then "File -> Import Applicance" and point it at the downloaded OVA. You can change the system parameters of the VM if you want, or just import it with the defaults.