Bridged Adapter not working for specific network

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Ky

Bridged Adapter not working for specific network

Post by Ky »

At home, when I use Kali in virtual box on my windows machine, I can connect to the internet via the bridged mode (and NAT) with no problems. However, connecting to my uni network on the Kali guest OS just gets stuck on "connecting". Online, it seems that some routers don't support the bridged mode (NAT works fine), however that makes some metasploit exploits not work correctly. It would be much easier for me if the bridged mode worked on the uni network. I've tried reset MAC address and setting the "NetworkManager.conf" to true (worked for some people).

Is there more things I can try? or am I stuck with NAT.
Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bridged Adapter not working for specific network

Post by socratis »

I will assume that by "uni" you mean "university". As a non-native English speaker it might be confusing for people to really understand your meaning if you abbreviate things.

Bridged and wireless don't always play nice. Bridged networking is outside the WLAN specification. Promiscuous mode doesn't exist in the official WLAN specifications. It may or may not work. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WLAN cards and drivers work, some don't. See: Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware. For example, it works fine in my home, but not in my office. Same laptop, same VM. Now, unless you find a way to change the WiFi routers at your university, you're out of luck.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ky

Re: Bridged Adapter not working for specific network

Post by Ky »

Woops, yes I did mean university.

Well looks like I am out of luck and will have to use NAT.
Thanks for the reply.