Hostname aquired is causing issues on the guest machine

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
OmSingh

Hostname aquired is causing issues on the guest machine

Post by OmSingh »

I have oracle linux guest which is running on windows host. It has application like weblogic, xe database setup. The one with the set up uses the hostname localhost.localdomain, but when I import them to another machine on the office network - it gets a name dynamically.

This is causing the db listener to fail starting up.

Is there a way I can force the vm to continue using localhost.localdomain during start up and not get the name dynamically

Om
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Hostname aquired is causing issues on the guest machine

Post by socratis »

VirtuaBox has absolutely nothing to do with hostnames. It doesn't know what a hostname is. This is something that you would have to configure in your guest and/or your physical network.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
OmSingh

Re: Hostname aquired is causing issues on the guest machine

Post by OmSingh »

Yes, I agree. Its largely to do with the physical network - the linux machine gets the name from the network dynamically when it connected to the LAN. And since my Oracle XE is installed using some other hostname - it fails to start. I was looking for some help if people have faced similar issues.

Regards
Om