Network Fail Bridged Hosts Shows High Traffic

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Gill

Network Fail Bridged Hosts Shows High Traffic

Post by Gill »

Host OS Fedora 15
Guest ubuntu 14.04
VirtualBox 4.1.2 r73507

Bridged networking
Guest side adapter Intel Pro/1000 MT Desktop
Both guest and host are using static IPs
Network card on host is used only for this guest 'I don't know if I should not configure the adapter on the host side'
A separate windows 7 guest works without issue, under user root. This ubuntu guest is under a separate ID.

I attached log for guest OS. On this log no issues have occurred yet. Though on logs where issues occur they appear similar. I don't know how to read these logs though.

After running for some time, more the 24 hours. The network on the guest will fail. On the host side that card will see a very high spike in traffic, a terabyte within minutes. None of the other cards will have a any traffic spike, there are three in use now. In the guest I do not see a corresponding traffic spike.
If I restart the host everything works. Restarting the guest or restarting the adapter on host side does not resolve the issue.

I don't know enough to provide more details.
I am fairly certain it is configuration related, but I am unsure where to start.
I have search for like posts and failed to find anything useful.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Attachments
zimbraserver-2016-02-07-17-37-14.log
VirtualBox Log
(45.47 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Network Fail Bridged Hosts Shows High Traffic

Post by michaln »

VirtualBox 4.1.2? That is a) horribly outdated and b) no longer supported. Only VirtualBox 5.0 is currently supported.
Gill

Re: Network Fail Bridged Hosts Shows High Traffic

Post by Gill »

Thank you for the reply.

With that thought in mind. When I upgrade from VB 4 to 5 will anything change for the network configuration guest side? With the guest running Ubuntu in general testing, I have found changing control mac so on causes a lot of work.

Then back a step since I can not process an upgrade until I do a fair bit of testing (would have to upgrade Fedora first). If I block all traffic for the host side IP at the firewall will that cause any troubles for the guest? I would love a temp fix until I can test the upgrade process.

I will say that I am running a similar setup with a Ubuntu 14.04 host, Virtualbox 5 and a guest 14.04, and having no issues. In short, I think your suggestion is correct.

Oddly, an upgrade of Fedora wasn't a possibility without the guest OS. I won't bother going into details.