Problem with Fedora netinstall

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Inodoro Pereyra

Problem with Fedora netinstall

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Hello everybody. :)

I'm trying to do a Fedora 23 server netinstall, but the installer won't get past the software source screen.

The host is also Fedora23 (Xfce). I have used the netinstall CD a few days ago, to install on another partition, and it worked just fine.
So..., what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance. :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem with Fedora netinstall

Post by socratis »

If you haven't changed any of the defaults, you should be having one network adapter only connected via NAT (Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop). Please confirm this.

While at that screen, press Host+N to open up the Session Information. Look at the "Data Received". If it is increasing, your installation is getting information/data from the internet and if you wait long enough, it will have all the available data to move on. Mine became available at around 110 MB for the workstation and around 65 MB for the server edition. Mind you, it's not the fastest download on the planet.

There's a price to pay for net installs. Delay during the install vs. delay during downloading of everything before you get started.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Inodoro Pereyra

Thank you Socratis.

Yeah, I'm using the defaults.
I tried host-n, and it is receiving data, slllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwllllyyyyyy...
Now I need to stop, and won't get a connection until Monday, so I'll try again then, and report back. :)
Inodoro Pereyra

Yep, it finally worked. Took almost three hours to download, but now I'm finally installing.

Thank you Socratis for the tip. :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Jeez, you weren't kidding when you referred to your connection as being ... slllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwww...
Glad I thought of that tip, because (like yours) it seemed stuck on my case as well. Hope it can help someone else in the future as well...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Inodoro Pereyra

Yep. And you wanna know the punchline? I have a gigabit ethernet connection. :shock:

I guess the mirror was the slow one...