W7: Unable to switch off virtual Mint (constantly running)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
XTech

W7: Unable to switch off virtual Mint (constantly running)

Post by XTech »

Hello,

i successfully installed Linux Mint Cinnamon on my 32bit W7 host. But when i decided to Switch off virtual computer it did not switched completely because the prime window is still 'Running' but the screen is black with simple text "mint@mint ~ $". - see picture in attachment

I would like to switch off the virtual Mint computer without hard reset to keep the actual changes.

Can anybody help and tell me how to switched off virtual machine correctly without any data loss, please?

Thanks!
XT
Attachments
Mint_bug_.jpg
Mint_bug_.jpg (13.89 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: W7: Unable to switch off virtual Mint (constantly runnin

Post by Perryg »

sudo halt should do it.
XTech

Post by XTech »

the problem is that i can not write anything, can t out any execution on the screen. I click with mouse on "boot screen", trying to write sudo halt but nothing happens. Any idea?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Moved to Linux Guests since your question concerns your guest, not your host.

Your VM may be grabbing ownership of the hosts keyboard, which would stop it working. Make sure you do not have a blank filter selected in the USB section.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Well if you guest is hung you will not be able to change any settings in the USB section so while it might be the issue you will not be able to change anything.

You can try the power off or APIC shut down in the machine tab if that still works. If not then you will need to kill the guest before you can proceed.
One thing that I wonder about is you are using Mint and in a TTY window. Does the guest only run in CLI?
XTech

Post by XTech »

Hey,

i can t change anything in Settings incl. USB section - virtual computer is still running.

sorry but i do not know what do yu mean with TTY and CLI acronyms.

Yes, machine tab working fine (it is not freezed). If i choose close computer by option "Shutdown computer" will i lose actual state/changes in my Mint OS? Or should i choose "Save state"? Maybe this option might be better for my issue, or?

Thanks
XT
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Saved state will close the guest but it will not be shut down and the minute you start it again you will be exactly where you left off ( hung ).
  • CLI = no desktop only Command Line Interface
    TTY = text terminal
I can not say what you will or will not loose because I have no idea what state you are in or what caused you to loose the keyboard function to the guest. Given that I also have no idea what you changed in the guest or how you did so it is impossible to tell you the state of what you will end up with by closing/ending the session.
XTech

Post by XTech »

Ok, i run my Mint in normal GUI, no CLI. Also installation i will organise through dpkg. I did not used TTY for now.

I choosed to Shoutdown computer from Guest machine and it seemed that closing proccess did proceed well and it is a second before prime window disappears. But it jammed on this weird point.

btw, what this "mint@mint ~ $" command says? Does it have to do something with keyboard?

One more lead: i realised that i did not install "VirtualBox Guest Additions". Well, do you think that this problem is caused with this? Could be..
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Hard to say as I stated before why it hung, but if you went through the guest shut down mechanism I would say it is alright to kill the guest. You are going to need to kill it at some point just to see if it will recover anyway. After you do then start the guest and do a normal shut down and see if it work. Then post the guests log file ( as an attachment )
XTech

Post by XTech »

Well, i closed it all and started again;)

Some questions:

should i first install Mint OS, then VBoxGuestAdditions.iso or all at once?
Well, i have some trouble here with VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. Can you tell me why VBoxGuestAdditions.iso is not connected in Devices?

Here is the error description:

Could not mount the media/drive 'C:\Program Files\[MyVirtualMachines]VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).

Návratový kód: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Komponenta: ConsoleWrap
Rozhraní: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Volaný: IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}

I can t browse to this file. After clicking on OK the path Device > Guest Additions ISO is inactive.

What does it mean this "VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED"?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

What does it mean this "VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED"?
It means that something else is mounted in the virtual drive. More than likely the install media or a previous guest addition. Eject the CD/DVD inside the guest then click on the device tab of VirtualBox and click on insert guest additions. Then install them.
XTech

Post by XTech »

I installing Mint, can not unmount the ISO. So does it mean that i can install Guest Additions in step 2 i.e. after installing the system?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

OK first you install Mint. One way or another you must unmount the install CD/DVD. With the guest shut down look in the guest settings -> storage and see if there is anything listed as being mounted when you click on the CD/DVD. If not then start the guest and insert the guest additions. If something is mounted click on the drop down window on the right and select remove, then start the guest and click on insert the guest additions.
XTech

Post by XTech »

Ok, so i managed to install OS but there is still little hassle about Guest Additions i.e. if it installed and if so what exact version. In attachment i send printscreen showing the file "VBOXADDITIONS_5.0.14_105127" on my guest desktop which showed up there after successfull guest Mint OS installation and Synaptic overview showing all installed VirtualBox Guest Additions files.

I installed my Guest Additions through Synaptics -> i installed this "virtualbox-guest-additions.iso (4.3.10-1)". But Synaptic says that there are installed some other VirtualBox Guest files of v5.0.4 (so it seemed they are up to date).
But still.. on my desktop there is untouched file "VBOXADDITIONS_5.0.14_105127". Should i install it? OR during v4.3-10-1 iso installation was installed very new v5.0.4 version (as those three files show)?

I also discovered the execute sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-additions-iso which will download/isntall Guest Addition.

I guess there are some different ways how to install (guess additions) program/s on Mint. I am newcomer with Linux (Mint) and for me as Windows-based user, it is a bit complicated to make things clear about Mint (Linux) UI and all proccesses.

Can you bring the light in this matter, please?

Thanks!
XT

p.s.: on other picture i send a screenshot of an attemnt to instal 'desktop' version "VBOXADDITIONS_5.0.14_105127" -> i choosed "Not to install".
Attachments
S4.jpg
S4.jpg (69.18 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
S2.jpg
S2.jpg (70.1 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Typically software coming from Synaptics is from the default repository, which is a fork of the official VirtualBox releases. You should:
- Uninstall the forked GAs from Synaptics.
- Install the official GAs that come with your VirtualBox installation (Devices, Insert Guest Additions CD Image...).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.