VirtualBox not working on Fedora 23

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Edrich_Engel

VirtualBox not working on Fedora 23

Post by Edrich_Engel »

I installed fedora 23 to run virtual box but my kernal doesn't match (the kernal on virtualbox and my fedora kernal) Can someboddy plz help me?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: VirtualBox not working on Fedora 23

Post by Perryg »

kb50@roadrunner.com

Re: VirtualBox not working on Fedora 23

Post by kb50@roadrunner.com »

Having same issues. It seems that the latest kernel 4.3.3 for Fedora 23 is not working with VirtualBox 5.0.14 latest version.

I can get it to run perfect under Fedora kernel 4.2.2 but it refuses to run my VM (windows XP in my case) under the new kernel.
The problem of course is that once you update to the new kernel even if VB was there before it fails when you try to start any existing machines, and fails to install any new ones.
It seemed to indicate a problem with the DKMS package, which they are saying to try the akamod packages instead. I tried and nothing seemed to work.

So my only choice is to mask out the latest kernel in the grub.conf to run the old kernel. You can edit the grub.conf file or use what I use (grub customizer) to remove the latest kernel off the selection list, which leaves it there to restore back once everyone catches up with each other. I fought with this for hours. I gave up trying to force it to work.
Its better to just revert back to the old kernel unless there is something about the new kernel that fixes something you need.

I am sure the next release of VirtualBox might resolve this. The problem partially is that Vbox was pre-installed in Fedora 23 with the existing kernel, but is broken with the kernel update that recently came out.

Its the typical cat chasing the mouse game, that one updated before the other one could.