Linux guest crashes on reboot

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
wirechief

Linux guest crashes on reboot

Post by wirechief »

I did a reboot in my guest os, selecting the reboot on its menu, Vbox crashed. I thought then i will have to to ctrl alt del, I did, I thought I was out of the woods with this but
was not able to ever leave the VM environment, when I restarted X it came up with some strange looking Kde (new version) if i reboot i am unable to login to kde the only solution was too navigate back to .VirtualBox and remove all the .vdi files then rebooting I was able to log back into kde and go to the desktop.
The linux I was using is sidux 2.6.20.7 with VirtualBox 1.3.8 this happend before and I had to do the same thing.

Is this normal for vbox to crash with a re-boot, within the guest systems log out?
wirechief

Post by wirechief »

Even though I though my problems were over VirtualBox was preventing me
from using a terminal as root, my password was not being accepted.
I resolved the password issue by creating a new root password and fixed
another issue of my hda4's UUID not being recognized by editing the /etc/fstab and putting the correct UUID in for my hda4
This has been a very interesting Oddessy with Virtual Box, I am slowly learning how to avoid falling into the holes that are present. I hope that someone fixes this problem when a user decides to re-boot within the guest and have it actually reboot the iso from where it was initiated in the first place.