64bit PC (Win7x64&VBox64) but only gives me 32bit options

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
DiamondeX
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian, Mint

64bit PC (Win7x64&VBox64) but only gives me 32bit options

Post by DiamondeX »

I'd seen topic "64 bit computer & virtualbox but only gives me 32bit options" (href: ...viewtopic.php?p=291380). But my situation is a bit different.
I'm running Win7 x64 host and want run Linux x64 guest OS.
1) I'd checked hardware-virtualzation enabled in my host bios.
2) when creating the 64-bit guest I'm always trying to select 64-bit in General -> Basic -> version.
3) Though running Windows as host I can't see any signs to think that hyper-v or xp mode is enabled on my host.
When I'm installing VirtualBox-4.2.28-97679-Win I can see and use Linux 64bit options for my LinuxMint17.1 (64bit) and for number of others.
With any newer versions of VirtualBox I can't see any 64bit options.
But there was one time 64bit options was present. That happens when i install 5.0.4 in different location having 4.2.28 already installed and 64bit guest created.
Is there any way to check is hyper-v or xp mode enabled or not? And could it be a bug with newer versions if 4.2.28 version always offers 64bit options and allows to use them normally?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: 64bit PC (Win7x64&VBox64) but only gives me 32bit option

Post by mpack »

I assume the topic you mean is FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.

I do not believe that your situation is different. That topic itemizes all known reasons for the 64bit option not being available. I advise you to read it carefully. I'm not aware of any bugs in this area.
DiamondeX

Post by DiamondeX »

Believe is not good advisor.
To be more precise I have this option in my BIOS: "VT-x: supported" (i can't change it any way)
Whole this day i play mainly with 4.2.28 and latest 5.0.4 versions of VirtualBox installing, tuning and uninstalling them in different ways. At last i decide to leave old 4.2.28 version, because it allowed me to run linux x64 guests with "Enable PAE/NX" and "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" options on and "Enable Nested Paging" option off.
5.0.4 version don't even allow "Acceleration" tab, where last two mentioned options placed.
Right now i have LinuxMint x64 running with 4.2.28. Earlier I tryed 4.2.32 but its results same as latest 5.0.4
At least i'll be glad to know how to detect those hyper-v or xp mode is in use or not.
DiamondeX

Post by DiamondeX »

I could provide any logs and screenshots to confirm my words
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Perhaps because of this…
But there was one time 64bit options was present. That happens when i install 5.0.4 in different location having 4.2.28 already installed and 64bit guest created.
You can't change where VirtualBox is to be installed and expect it to work correctly if that's what you meant.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
DiamondeX

Post by DiamondeX »

loukingjr wrote:Perhaps because of this…
You can't change where VirtualBox is to be installed and expect it to work correctly if that's what you meant.
Well you can easily change default destination location during installation. But I can't say with certainty was resulting behaviour correct or not. I can say only that 64bit options become available in 5.0.4 what was not happened in clear 5.0.4 installation
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Well, I'm still not sure what you are trying to say but it almost sounds to me like you tried to have both 4.2.28 and 5.0.4 installed at the same time. That is not permissible if that is what you did.
DiamondeX

Post by DiamondeX »

No, of course. I just want to be able to have 64bit guests without any tricks. Looks like such "upgrade" let me have what I want. But this way seems unreliable and not as straightforward as expected.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I couldn't say. Was reliable and "straightforward" for me.