Ubuntu Guest - Video Replay Issues

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
JoshuaFalken

Ubuntu Guest - Video Replay Issues

Post by JoshuaFalken »

Hello Everybody!

I am running a Ubuntu 14.04 guest on a Windows 10 host. Although the VM has always worked fine, since a few days I am having problems with video replay of local video files. Both Ubuntu's own video player and VLC cannot replay any video anymore. Ubuntu's own player stops the replay after a short while (max. 1-2 seconds), and although I can manually forward to a different point of the video, it simply will not continue playing it. VLC does replay the video, but the rest of the application window is not shown properly, and in particular the entire UI for replay control (pause / fwd etc.) is missing. VLC can only be killed from the console. These video replay problems appear independently from the file format (WMV, MP4, MPEG etc.).

I have VirtualBox 4.3.30 and have recently upgraded the host to Windows 10. VirtualBox Guest Additions are installed in the guest, and I have already tried re-installing them. I have also tried re-installing Ubuntu codecs and video player software. I have also tried activating / deactivating 3D support and increasing VM memory and processor cores. Except for the video replay issue, the guest appears to be working flawlessly.

Any ideas what could be causing the issue?

Thanks.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Ubuntu Guest - Video Replay Issues

Post by Perryg »

Looks like you have hit the Windows 10 wall. Still not supported yet but this will probably work itself out when it is.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

You can fix VLC. Open VLC select>Tools>Preferences>Video>Output change it to X11 video output. Save. Close then reopen VLC. There is a way to change the native player but I forget what it is.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
JoshuaFalken

Post by JoshuaFalken »

FYI - upgrading to the latest VirtualBox test build (5.0.3) has actually fixed the issue.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Thanks for reporting back. Sorry I never checked the test build. I assumed it was the same issue that has plagued Linux guests on Windows and OSX hosts. Although it fixed the problem on Ubuntu for you, Parole, the native Xubuntu player still has to be switched to X11.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.