SUSE Guest crashed

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
RolfW

SUSE Guest crashed

Post by RolfW »

Hello all!

While being connected to DB 11.2. running on a Linux-VB suddenly the connection was interrupted. The VB couldn't be saved nor restarted. The VB-Manager screen did not respond to any action. So I killed the VB-process on the host machine (Windows 8.1).
Then I tried to start the VB machine again, but it didn't come to an end. The process was frozen.

Last successful step was: Activating swap-devices in /etc/fstab...
Process got stuck at: Set System time to the current Hardware Clock

Version is 4.3.12

Any help is welcome!
Regards,
Rolf
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: SUSE Guest crashed

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment )
RolfW

Post by RolfW »

This is the latest logfile
Attachments
VBox.log
latest logfile
(109.93 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Code: Select all

00:00:01.490646 SharedFolders host service: adding host mapping
00:00:01.490664     Host path 'd:\expimp', map name 'expimp', writable, automount=true, create_symlinks=false, missing=true
00:00:01.491740 ERROR [COM]: aRC=E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057) aIID={8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6} aComponent={Console} aText={Shared folder path 'd:\expimp' does not exist on the host}, preserve=false
00:00:01.491907 Console: VM runtime error: fatal=false, errorID=BrokenSharedFolder message="The shared folder 'expimp' could not be set up: Shared folder path 'd:\expimp' does not exist on the host.
00:00:01.491909 The shared folder setup will not be complete. It is recommended to power down the virtual machine and fix the shared folder settings while the machine is not running"
00:00:01.492168 SharedFolders host service: adding host mapping
00:00:01.492178     Host path 'C:\febi_dmp', map name 'febi_dmp', writable, automount=true, create_symlinks=false, missing=true
00:00:01.492228 ERROR [COM]: aRC=E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057) aIID={8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6} aComponent={Console} aText={Shared folder path 'C:\febi_dmp' does not exist on the host}, preserve=false
00:00:01.492316 Console: VM runtime error: fatal=false, errorID=BrokenSharedFolder message="The shared folder 'febi_dmp' could not be set up: Shared folder path 'C:\febi_dmp' does not exist on the host.
00:00:01.492318 The shared folder setup will not be complete. It is recommended to power down the virtual machine and fix the shared folder settings while the machine is not running"
You should fix the bad shared folders and see if that helps, but the log file does not show a real issue meaning it has to be within the guest itself.
Question: Why so many disks in the form of vmdk files? Is this a transported guest?
RolfW

Post by RolfW »

The shared folders have been removed, but unfortunately this is not the solution.
Please find the screenshot showing the last lines of the startup process.
Attachments
VBox.log
(68.61 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
boot2.PNG
boot2.PNG (55.09 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
RolfW

Post by RolfW »

Regarding the number of disks:
I "inherited" this VB from a colleague of mine and I had no influence on its structure. Is this a critical point?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Log still does not show a reason for your problem. I still think it is a corrupt guest somehow and probably because of the issue that started all of this when you had to forcefully pull the plug so to say.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

RolfW wrote:Regarding the number of disks:
I "inherited" this VB from a colleague of mine and I had no influence on its structure. Is this a critical point?
Not so much I was just wondering why and your explanation is pretty much what I expected.
RolfW

Post by RolfW »

I imported an appliance which was exported days before the crash, hoping this would solve the problem. But it doesn't! The behavior is exactly the same: it stops at "Set System time to the current Hardware Clock". Wouldn't that mean that it is an issue of virtual box and not of file corruption.
Any idea?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

RolfW wrote:I imported an appliance which was exported days before the crash, hoping this would solve the problem. But it doesn't! The behavior is exactly the same: it stops at "Set System time to the current Hardware Clock". Wouldn't that mean that it is an issue of virtual box and not of file corruption.
Any idea?
Not necessarily. But you can always re-install VirtualBox to see. I also see you are using a very old version which I assume is because of the hardening on newer versions. So if that is the case you would need to be sure to use the same version when you re-install.

It can be a host issue as well. Check for updates around that time and if you see them you can remove the update/s to see if they cause this as well.
RolfW

Post by RolfW »

what I haven't mentioned so far: There is another VB-Guest installed (Windows 7) which works properly. Does it make sense then to reinstall Virtual Box? I mean, the fact that this Windows 7-Guest works fine proofs that the Installation is ok, or not?
Yesterday I performed a "repair installation", but the issue persists.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

It would have been better to have been told about the other guest and it working. This puts me back to what I said earlier. The information to this point is reflective of a corrupt guest.

• 1) The guest was working until an all of the sudden issue while using the guest.
    2) After a hang you were forced to pull the virtual plug, which can cause data loss or other file corruption.
    3) You have another guest that does work
This indicates that the host and the VBox application are more than likely sound. Unless you had an update to the guest that triggered this issue I can think of nothing else that would cause this.
RolfW

Post by RolfW »

If this is the case, why do I have the same issue with the older appliance (see my from 18.8. 11:54). Are the appliances not independent of each other, or do they use common files?
In the meantime I reinstalled VirtualBox 4.3.12, but this didn't solve the problem.
RolfW

Post by RolfW »

Problem is solved!

http://setaoffice.com/2015/01/16/suse-l ... are-clock/

is the solution.
But it remains unclear what the cause of the issue is.
Best Regards and thanks for your support!
Rolf
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

This is just a guess but I would suggest the way in which the guest was shut down is what actually caused this. Like I said it would have to be something in the guest and I am glad you proved that and found the solution. Plus extra points for posting the resolution so others that might have this happen can see if it also fixes their issue.