mouse lost after restore w/LinuxMint 17.2

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
nlcarter

mouse lost after restore w/LinuxMint 17.2

Post by nlcarter »

Greetings:

I have several VBs built on my Windows 7(64) host, including several different linux (64) guests. I recently created a new one hosting LinuxMint 17.2 (Cinnamon). The install went fine. The installation of the Guest Additions went fine (after removing the included version). Everything looked beautiful! (LinuxMine 17.2 (Cinnamon) has a VERY nice desktop!) If I reboot the guest, everything works as expected. However, if I 'Save the machine state', my normal method of shutting down the VB, since it's quicker, when the session is restored, I have no mouse in the guest system. As far as I can tell, everything else works perfectly.

I've never had this issue with other linux guest systems, so I'm left thinking this must be something unique to LinuxMint 17.2 (Cinnamon).

Anybody have any experience with this phenomenon or any suggestions? I've not yet found anything in this Forum that sounds like this.

Thanks!

Neil
nlcarter

Re: mouse lost after restore w/LinuxMint 17.2

Post by nlcarter »

nobody?!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

What is the version of VirtualBox?
Post the guests log file ( as an attachment )
nlcarter

Post by nlcarter »

Version is 4.3.30, but never mind Perryg - it's working perfectly now!

Don't know what changed really, the version of VB hasn't changed as this is a brand new VM, created the day before I opened this post. All I can think of that's changed is I ran another software update a week ago or so and today is the first time that I've tried a 'Save the machine state' since.

Who knows.

Thanks, anyway!!
Wernher

Post by Wernher »

I have the same problem on Ubuntu 14.04LT Guest under Windows. It happened under Win 8, 8.1 and now under 10 as well. My Fedora Guest is perfect. When I switch to seamless mode and back my mouse is restored. It is a bit annoying as I use the save mode to carry on where I left off and then have to go through such a lot of tricks that I might almost rather start from scratch. This is definitely something unique to the Ubuntu/Debian guest as I have upgraded from VBox 4.3 through 5.0.2 and it was the same for all as well as the host from 8 through Win 10.

@Perryg I tried to attach my log file but it says it is too big. I see no place where I can clear the log apart from refresh.
Wernher

Post by Wernher »

@Perryg: I now deleted all my logs and then started by booting from scratch. Then I saved the state, started again. No mouse, so I did a host-L to go in seamless mode. then Host F back to full screen and save the state. The attached logs reflect that full sequence. I'll be glad if you can put a set of fresh eyes on this as I don't see anything. Seems the log is still larger than 120 KB, so I don't know how to show you the log. Any place I can mail it to you? I guess we can use PM for privacy.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Simply compress the log and it will fit.
Wernher

Post by Wernher »

Not sure what you mean by that. I see no option to do that.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Compression program on the host. Windows usually has zip, but I can decompress just about all of them.
Wernher

Post by Wernher »

Cool, thanks. Zipfile attached: (The whole logs dir)
Logs.zip
(107.88 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Windows 10 is just barely supported so it may just be a quirk but if I were to investigate this I would change the type of mouse and see if that makes a difference. This is in the guest settings and the guest must be shut down ( not saved state ) to change the setting.

I do see the mouse if being restored so it could be a regression in the guest additions or just the mouse driver. Changing the type of mouse will force a driver change.
Wernher

Post by Wernher »

@Perryg just a correction. The behaviour of the mouse after a restart is not new since the upgrade to Windows 10. It was the same before and I lived with it. It is just when I saw the post about the same issue experienced with Mint 17.2 that I became curious about a fix.

Thanks for the suggestions. I changed the mouse in a fresh state, then took it through a full cycle of start/restart for each of the mouse types. The results remained the same. For one cycle, I ran VBox guest additions, restarted and then took it through the whole cycle. Same results again.

Every time the only way to get control of the mouse back was to press Host key - L, Mouse is back, then Host key - F and I have full screen back with full control of mouse. The solution of toggling modes is a viable work-around.

The issue is not present in the Fedora Guest session, which saves and restores without issue every time. I guess then that it is something specific to the Ubuntu/Debian distro.

So unless you have an incurable desire to get behind the reason for this behaviour, I am sort of okay to live with it, accepting it as a small irritation that has a viable work-around. :)
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

So unless you have an incurable desire to get behind the reason for this behaviour, I am sort of okay to live with it, accepting it as a small irritation that has a viable work-around.
While I do like a good challenge and I hate to leave unresolved issues here I have a problem. I can not reproduce this on any of my machines here. Looking back I don’t see but a handful or issues like yours and can't seem to find a correlation with them. This makes it all but impossible for anyone to find the exact cause. I would suggest that you post a ticket at bugtracker so the DEVs can see if they can find a cause/fix.
Wernher

Post by Wernher »

Will do.