Guest Additions break Polkit on SUSE Linux Server 12

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Al the Pal

Guest Additions break Polkit on SUSE Linux Server 12

Post by Al the Pal »

Host:] OpenSUSE 13.2 (x86_64)
VirtualBox version: 5.0 now, also first encountered on 4,3,28, both with VRDP extension
Guest O/S: SLES 12 current DVD edition, but also tested with Gold Master edition
Issues:
On the SLES 12 platform, certain actions such as mounting a CD.DVD, shutting down the system, and many others, that require root privileges are handled by PolKit which defines and handles authoriztions on behalf of regular users on the SUSE server. Before installing Guest Additions, I made sure that PolKit worked as expected by adding/removing DVDs and rebooting/halting the system using the gnome desktop as explained below. After installing the Guest Additions, PolKit no longer works to authorize the action, failing to recognize the root password.
If attempting to mount a dvd from the gnome desktop after insertion, I am presented with the dialog box to supply the root password. After typing the password, I get a failed message "Sorry, that didn't work, please try again". Retyping the password (yes, it is the correct p/w) results in failed attempts also. Canceling the action and retrying it will sometimes work and mount the DVD.
If attempting to shutdown the system from the icon on the gnome desktop, I am presented with the dialog box to supply the root password. This action mostly fails as with the DVD mounting attempt but on occasion may work to halt the system.
If working from a graphical or a virtual terminal, I can use su or sudo to supply root credentials and mount or shutdown the system.

The following entry can be found in the system log following a failed attempt:
2015-07-21T11:41:42.315475-04:00 linux-d5ho polkitd[921]: Operator of unix-session:1 FAILED to authenticate to gain authorization for action org.freedesktop.login1.power-off for system-bus-name::1.40 [/usr/bin/gnome-session --session sle-classic] (owned by unix-user:geeko)

There are many other actions started by "geeko" user that require root credentials as handled by PolKit. The DVD mounting and system shutdown are the only one's that I have tested. Both of these work properly before adding the guest additions. This is also very consistent on all the virtual SLES 12 servers I've installed so far.

Has anyone else encountered these issues? Any suggestions?

Al the Pal