Flaky graphics on startup

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
speedpacer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux and Windows

Flaky graphics on startup

Post by speedpacer »

Sorry if this has already been addressed but I skimmed through several pages and a few threads and didn't see anyone else complaining about it. First, I want to say that I've been using VirtualBox for years and this is the first time I've had an issue. This wasn't happening 6 or so months ago with the same operating systems and hardware so I'm not sure when things went wrong.

I've installed a new CentOS 6.6 guest on a Windows 8.1 host, all the necessary header files, guest additions, etc. and I changed the default color scheme. I have it installed on an SSD controlled USB thumb drive and take it back and forth to work. At home I have 3 monitors and at work I have 2 (and it's Win7 Ent). Regardless of which host I try to boot it up on, I have to keep logging out and logging back in or rebooting for the desktop to display correctly. Sometimes it'll come up with a task bar in every window and the displays will mirror, sometimes the colors will adjust back to default, sometimes the background is tiled, sometimes the resolution is 800x600... I'm not using 3D acceleration or anything like that. It behaves the same on both hosts. When I try it with just one monitor, which is how it was initially, it was the same fight but without the mirrored issue obviously. Eventually after logging out and back in again or sometimes rebooting, it will finally come up correctly. I was hoping this last update would fix it but it seems to have gotten worse. I've reinstalled several times and it's reproducible.

After fighting for two years, I finally got the green light to trade in our expensive servers for some more powerful laptops with Virtualbox for our developers two weeks ago and I'm supposed to be coming up with a presentation to show them how awesome this is in the next few weeks. If anyone knows of a way to fix this or work around it, it would be greatly appreciated!

Donnie
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Flaky graphics on startup

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment )
speedpacer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux and Windows

Re: Flaky graphics on startup

Post by speedpacer »

So far, it seems that going into the display settings on the guest and forcing the resolutions I want has solved my problem. I don't remember having to do that before but there's a good chance I did and just don't remember.