Enabling Virtualization within an OS running as guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Moris

Enabling Virtualization within an OS running as guest

Post by Moris »

Hi there,
First, the general question and then will drill down details if this post comes to have any replies, my previous one was a bit more detailed and there were zero replies... Not that I'm complaining, lol

Anyway, I have Oracle Virtualbox installed on Windows 7 on an HP G61 laptop and running CentOS on it. The machine has an AMD processor. Now, I want to install the Intel compiler (icc in short) on the Linux virtual box and it seems to be issues with the installation, I think it's due to the fact that the installer does not like AMD. I downloaded the same version for the host OS, Windows 7 just to see if there was a real impediment since no where on the Intel website I could find anything saying that the compiler cannot be installed on a non-Intel machine, all it says is that performance reporting or something are disabled which I am OK with it for now, but I was actually able to install it on the W7 host machine, and run.
But it seems to be a little trickier under CentOS.
Anyway, So what I attempted next was to install the processor emulator QEMU under CentOS to see if that would work, but I hit a wall when the pre-check tasks did not see my processor as virtualized enabled when running the command to do so. Since I am running Virtualbox already on W7 I thought it was not an issue with my hardware, still I checked on the system BIOS and lo and behold, there was virtualization enabled.

So now, I don't know if I can actually use QEMU (I actually downloaded KVM and QEMU and the verification process was part of the KVM pre-checks) as an emulator within a guest OS such as CenTOS.

I know, I may need to provide releases and versions and perhaps a bit more for better help but for starters the big question is: Is it possible to enable Virtualization when the guest OS is CentOS running on Windows 7?

Thank you very much, in advance, for any suggestions you may provide.
Moris
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Enabling Virtualization within an OS running as guest

Post by Perryg »

Nested virtualization is not supported. You may get something to work if it does not require VMX but it is still not supported.
Moris

Re: Enabling Virtualization within an OS running as guest

Post by Moris »

Ok, Thank you Perryg, short and simple, so I guess and for now, I'll quit trying and move to something else.