Linux Mint running in software rendering mode windows host

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jluismoran

Re: Linux Mint running in software rendering mode windows ho

Post by jluismoran »

Hi, I had this problem for almost a year. Today I needed to use the 3D function and after a couple of hours I could solved it. In my case, My system is an Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and I had installed one of the last versions that I had downloaded from oracle. The solution was to purge completely all the virtualbox-* programs that I found with the command "dpkg -l | grep virtualbox" and after that I installed Virtualbox from the Software Center. I also installed the Extension Pack for the current version from the repository which actually is 4.3.10. Previously, I had installed the Guest Additions in my virtual machine (Linux Mint). Now, it seems be working fine with 3D acceleration enabled. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

Greetings.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Linux Mint running in software rendering mode windows ho

Post by loukingjr »

jluismoran wrote:Hi, I had this problem for almost a year.
This topic was about Linux Mint on a Windows host. Therefore you didn't have the problem at all since you have an Ubuntu host. The other thing is this forum doesn't support the Ubuntu builds from their repositories. The current 4.* version of VirtualBox is 4.3.30.

Basically you waited nearly a year to post an incorrect solution in the wrong thread. Interesting.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
otheus

Re: Linux Mint running in software rendering mode windows host

Post by otheus »

It looks like the installed init script has a bug. In 5.2.12r122591 at least, the additions installs a script , which will abort because:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/vboxadd: 257: /etc/init.d/vboxadd: cannot create : Directory nonexistent
this traces back to the following code-snippet:

Code: Select all

# Put the X DOT Org driver in place.  This is harmless if it is not needed.
    "${INSTALL_DIR}/init/vboxadd-x11" setup 2>> "${LOG}"
    # Install the guest OpenGL drivers.  For now we don't support
    # multi-architecture installations
Traces indicate that $LOG is not yet defined here. It appears that $LOG is defined in a function called setup_log, which is never called in the start) cycle.
Nevertheless, the system seems to start with the VBoxService service started. But I cannot get cinnamon to get out of software-render mode.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Linux Mint running in software rendering mode windows host

Post by socratis »

otheus wrote:In 5.2.12r122591 at least
You *do* realize that you replied to a thread that is 3 years dead and the latest at the moment was 4.3.30, right? Your answer seems a little bit out of place (or actually, completely out of place). You want to start a new thread and state the failure?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.