apt-get upgrade - '/etc/issue' - "What would you like...?"

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
markfilipak2
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 18

apt-get upgrade - '/etc/issue' - "What would you like...?"

Post by markfilipak2 »

I have no idea what this is about or how to answer the question. Can you advise?
Surfer.png
Surfer.png (45.9 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
Events leading to this ===== lengthy optional reading =====
- Earlier today, when I launched the VM as usual, I got a notice of a new VBox (4.3.26 r98988), so I downloaded it.
- I shut down the VM and all running Windows apps.
- I ran the Windows installer, then rebooted the Windows Host.
- When I relaunched the VM, I got a brief notice that I should update the Guest Additions. The notice was very brief -- I didn't have a chance to dismiss it -- and it mentioned choosing the 'Devices' menu and selecting 'Install'.
- Well, I couldn't find an 'Install' submenu, but there is 'Insert Guest Additions CD image...', so I tried that.
- I got this notice: "Unable to insert the virtual optical disk 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' into the machine 'Surfer'" -- "Surfer" is the name of the VM. The notice asked if I wanted to "Force Unmount" <-- that's a clue!
- I launched 'Gnome Disks' (a GTK app) and found that 'VBOXADDITIONS_4.3.26_98988' was already in the virtual CD, but wasn't mounted yet.

At this point I freaked out and became very cautious.

- I read VirtualBox help about installing Guest Additions (section 4.2.2.1.1. Ubuntu).
- I launched 'Synaptic' and checked whether 'dkms' was already in the system (it was).
- I opened 'Terminal' as 'root'.
- I submitted 'apt-get update' -- yeah, I probably could have done it with 'Synaptic', but I was being cautious about 'Synaptic' not passing on possible failure messages.
- The update successfully completed.
- I submitted 'apt-get upgrade' and after ...forever... I got the '/etc/issue' notice above asking: "*** issue (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?"
- I answered "D" to see the difference.
- I didn't understand ANYTHING in the resulting couple of lines of output.
- I couldn't figure out how to get 'back' to try a different answer (I was sitting on "(END)" and the keyboard appeared not to work).
- I closed the VM, and then relaunched it.
- I resubmitted 'apt-get upgrade' and immediately got the '/etc/issue' notice above asking: "*** issue (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?"
- I took a screen shot of it and began this message.
- I'm now waiting for help.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: apt-get upgrade - '/etc/issue' - "What would you like...

Post by Perryg »

My friend you really need to ask these questions at the place that they actually are being generated from. The Operating system forum. From what I see that would be Ubuntu. I will say that doing a distro upgrade you will see these kind of questions and for the most part the default is the best route to go. That said however you need to understand what it is you are being asked and if you do not understand then you should ask, but ask the right people.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Hello Perry,
Perryg wrote:My friend you really need to ask these questions at the place that they actually are being generated from. The Operating system forum. From what I see that would be Ubuntu.
Thanks for the tip. Sorry. I was following instructions from VBox help regarding installing Guest Additions, so I naturally assumed VBox was responsible for the message, so I came here for help. Please excuse my mistake.
I will say that doing a distro upgrade you will see these kind of questions and for the most part the default is the best route to go. That said however you need to understand what it is you are being asked and if you do not understand then you should ask, but ask the right people.
Again, please forgive me. This is the sort of thing that happens when newbies go out in the world. All newbies should be arrested or put under some sort of physical restraint.

While I have your attention, let me ask: Is this forum a user-/-user forum, or an Oracle-/-user forum (i.e., Oracle support), or both user-/-user & Oracle-/-user?

Thank You.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Actually it is a little of all, but there is no real support as such. You have to pay for that and it is really expensive.

I would point you to the top of the forum where it states End user forum and the bottom where it says sponsored by Oracle.
markfilipak2

Post by markfilipak2 »

Thanks, Perry,

It's good to know my questions are welcome because I'm experiencing difficulties with mouse integration, but I need to investigate further before I can finger VBox. Meaning: I haven't figure out how to make the problem repeatable. If/When I can make it repeatable and show that it's a problem with VBox, I'll start a new thread. This tread is history. Feel free to delete it.

Ciao - Mark.