kubuntu-plasma5_14_10_i386 fails to display

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: kubuntu-plasma5_14_10_i386 fails to display

Post by loukingjr »

try the the key closest to the left side of the space bar + f2

you can try ctrl-alt-f1 also

I have a Mac keyboard. I just have to use cmd-f2
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
udippel

Post by udippel »

Okay, I read it up. You seem to be running another host OS. Here it is the host key plus F2; Alt-F2 actually does nothing. Or you changed the host key from the usual Right Ctrl to Alt?
Then I get a CLI, and I can issue a startx, but that will bring back the black X window, nothing else. So I'd have to install into a .vdi from the CLI. No idea if that is possible, or would even work.

The log file Xorg.0.log contains a number of "EE" [Error] entries.

Thanks anyway!
udippel

Post by udippel »

[That was cross-posting]

When you have a Mac keyboard you might as well have a Mac, and that could explain why on *buntu the second startx does not actually behave different from the first start of the GUI.
udippel

Post by udippel »

At least, this delivered the CLI to me, thank you, and a chance to post the log files of the various trials to start the GUI; I hope including the first, automatic, one after booting.
Maybe someone can have an idea what goes wrong here?
Attachments
Xorg.0.old.log
Had to rename it from log.old to old.log for attachment limitations in this forum
(57.67 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Xorg.0.log
(57.25 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Xorg.1.log
(57.67 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

udippel wrote:[That was cross-posting]

When you have a Mac keyboard you might as well have a Mac, and that could explain why on *buntu the second startx does not actually behave different from the first start of the GUI.
Have you read my signature? :)
udippel

Post by udippel »

And one more to go for Linux hosts, before someone points out to me how Linux works!;-)

So, the Alt-F2 // Host Key + F2 doesn't kill X, but switches to a CLI. X is still running. So it needs to be killed first from the CLI. Then, it can be restarted with startx; and that actually does pop back an X window on Host Key + F7.
Alas, still black.

Now I'm out of further ideas.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

well, it's possible it has something to do with your graphics card, it's also possible there is something up with the Linux version of VirtualBox. You did disable 3D acceleration as my note also mentioned I assume.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

udippel wrote:And one more to go for Linux hosts, before someone points out to me how Linux works!;-)

So, the Alt-F2 // Host Key + F2 doesn't kill X, but switches to a CLI. X is still running. So it needs to be killed first from the CLI. Then, it can be restarted with startx; and that actually does pop back an X window on Host Key + F7.
Alas, still black.

Now I'm out of further ideas.
try this...
Workarounds for issues in virtual machines

Move to TTY1 (with VirtualBox, Right-Ctrl+F1), then move back to TTY7 (with VirtualBox, Right-Ctrl+F7)
udippel

Post by udippel »

Been there, done it.
It just took me some time (my fault) to grasp that you sit on a Mac, to understand that I have to apply my knowledge of the host system here to get any further. Then I knew, of course, what you meant with the CLI; that I had to kill the black X still running on term 7, and so on. I also tried to scale and rescale the display, without any change.
I also point out for the umpteenth time that that same arrangement boots anything else, including the neon plasma5 image from August. I do not repeat it here and again to argue; only to support Peeryg's assumption that maybe Virtualbox is of now agnostic w.r.t. Wayland; so it might work or might not work. And since Wayland is a new method of drawing an X window, it might well be the case that the virtualbox graphics driver may not yet be intentionally supportive of Wayland.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

udippel wrote:Been there, done it.
It just took me some time (my fault) to grasp that you sit on a Mac, to understand that I have to apply my knowledge of the host system here to get any further. Then I knew, of course, what you meant with the CLI; that I had to kill the black X still running on term 7, and so on. I also tried to scale and rescale the display, without any change.
I also point out for the umpteenth time that that same arrangement boots anything else, including the neon plasma5 image from August. I do not repeat it here and again to argue; only to support Peeryg's assumption that maybe Virtualbox is of now agnostic w.r.t. Wayland; so it might work or might not work. And since Wayland is a new method of drawing an X window, it might well be the case that the virtualbox graphics driver may not yet be intentionally supportive of Wayland.
Well first, for whatever reason on the Mac I only had to use 'Host'+F2 then type startx to get to the Kubuntu Plasma desktop. That alone doesn't work with Ubuntu 14.10. I had to use 'Host'+F1 and then 'Host'+F7. No startx between. So I'm not sure why it's not working for you.

Seeing I have both Ubuntu 14.10 and Kubuntu Plasma 5 running in VirtualBox I don't think it's a Wayland issue. I'm not running a test build of VB. Just 4.3.18.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

fwiw Kubuntu Plama 5 still doesn't draw correctly with 3D enabled as of VB 4.3.20. No Rush.