Failed to open/create the internal network

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
ahower

Post by ahower »

10/22/14
My PC is an ASUS QR550, windows 8.1 64 bit, 8gb ram, 1tb harddrive.
I am running ubuntu desktop 64bit in virtual box, with the latest expansion pack installed.
the intention of this project is to create a working email server, however i am having networking errors which is preventing me from running the VM
Other machines have the following settings and are working, for some reason mine is not.
I have a Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless- AC 7260 card
Here are the network settings
Adapter 1 : Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (Host-only Adapter, 'VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter')
Promiscuous mode: deny
Mac address: 080027425B00
Cable connected: checked

the host only network has been changed to these settings
IPV4 address: 10.0.0.201
Ip network mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP server:
server IP: 10.0.0.201
server network mask: 255.255.255.0
Lower address bound: 10.0.0.1
Upper address bound: 10.0.0.200

Adapter 2 : Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (Bridged Adapter, Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260)
promiscuous mode: deny
MAC address: 080027EEBE83
Cable connected: checked

The second adapter is the issue, i can load my VM when it is disabled, but once its enabled i receive the following error:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine
'HostInterfaceNetworking-Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless- AC 7260' (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).
Failed to attach the network LUN
(VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

uninstalling and reinstalling has done nothing, the issue occurs even if i switch from the wireless card to Realtek PCIe GBE Familt Controller ethernet. I have made sure the bridged adapter setting on the wireless network is checked on my internet
ahower

Re: Failed to open/create the internal network

Post by ahower »

Im sorry the DHCP server ip address for the host only network is actually set to 10.0.0.100
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Post the guests log file ( as an attachment )
ahower

Post by ahower »

this is the VBox.log
Attachments
VM1-2014-10-22-14-42-26.log
(34.05 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

You need to explain why you changed the host-only adapter IP address scheme.

You can also provide the following using the hosts command window ( you need to be in the directory that actually has VBoxManage.exe )

Code: Select all

VBoxManage list hostonlyifs

VBoxManage list bridgedifs
ahower

Post by ahower »

the host only network ipv4 address will allow the host machine to communicate with my vm. the dhcp settings have been changed so that the vms in the 10.0.0.x network will automatically be assigned an ip address from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.200 if they dont have a static ip address. i am at the very beginning of steps to creating a mail server, but i cant even continue until the bridged adapter is working

VBoxManage list hostonly ifs:
Name: VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
GUID: aa5d64c8-6912-47ff-9853-c7a24d84e4c5
DHCP: Disabled
IPAddress: 10.0.0.201
NetworkMask: 255.255.255.0
IPV6Address: fe80:0000:0000:0000:5178:f15b:d20f:1722
IPV6NetworkMaskPrefixLength: 64
HardwareAddress: 08:00:27:00:d8:20
MediumType: Ethernet
VBoxNetworkName: HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter

VBoxManage list bridgedifs
Name: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
GUID: Deleted by MOD
DHCP: Enabled
IPAddress: Deleted by MOD
Network Address: 255.255.255.0
IPV6Address: Deleted by MOD
IPV6NetworkMaskPrefixLength: 64
HardwareAddress: Deleted by MOD
MediumType: Ethernet
VBoxNetworkName: HostInterfaceNetworking-Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

theres a realtek family controller too but im not gonna show it cuz i wont be using it
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

OK well there is an issue with the bridged adapter being uses with your wireless LAN. If you disable that to the guests does the host-only adapter work?
Can the guests see each other and also the host?
ahower

Post by ahower »

if the second adapter (the bridged adapter) is disabled and only the first adapter (the host only network) is enabled the VM works fine. I don't think I understand what you mean by can the guests see each other and the host. Honestly I am quite new to all of this. i am willing to try your suggestions, how would you like me to proceed? I should say that I need the host only adapter settings (the ip address and dhcp settings) to stay as what I modified them to, and the bridged adapter needs to run off my wireless card. So how do i fix the wireless card being used with the bridged adapter
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

If you can see the host from the guest/s and guest/s to the host then that part is working as it should. The next step is to see if the Bridged adapter will work on your LAN.

For this to work yo would need a router, which is built into most if not all wireless APs.

Step 1 would be to disable the host-only adapter and enable the Bridged adapter and see if the guest can get a valid IP address in the same range as the host. ( use dhcp for this test )
See if that works and if so can the guest can see the Internet or does it produce the same error.

Just use one guest and make sure the rest are shut down for now.
ahower

Post by ahower »

If I disable the host only network and only enable the bridged adapter the VM gives me the same error message and will not load the VM. Was their something else you meant for me to check?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Moving to Linux guest as your host is really Windows.

Yes while you are testing with the Bridged only after a failed boot post the guests log file ( as an attachment )
ahower

Post by ahower »

So here is the log if i try to load the vm with only adapter 2 (the bridged adapter) enabled. It shouldn't matter that my virtual box is on a windows computer, I am not supposed to have to download linux onto my actual computer, that is why this project uses virtual box. But maybe i'm not understanding what you mean by "Moving to linux guest as your host is really windows". If I am following your train of thought correctly, youre thinking theres a network communication problem between ubuntu and windows?
Attachments
VM1-2014-10-23-13-55-12.log
(32.33 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

This means you have a Windows host

VirtualBox VM 4.3.18 r96516 win.amd64 (Oct 11 2014 13:21:57) release log
This is you with a Linux guest.

00:00:04.727028 Guest OS type: 'Ubuntu_64'
You had posted this in the Linux host section and that causes confusion, that's why I moved it to where it belongs.

PDM: Failed to construct 'e1000'/1! VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND (-3600) - The networking interface to filter was not found.
Install VirtualBox again and do so by using run as admin. Make sure you have selected to install the bridged adapter.
ahower

Post by ahower »

My apologies, i thought my issue was related to ubuntu so i posted in linux. Just to be clear, so I don't keep messing this up, I need to run the installer for virtual box as administrator, but then where in the setup process would I make sure I'm installing the bridged adapter?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

If you right click the VirtualBox install you can then tell Windows to run as admin. Then it is just another windows install where you select what you want to do. The Bridged network is usually installed by default, but in your case it is not. Read the install screen carefully and make sure that it is enabled in the install and carry on. Watch for any errors as most people don't and this is where they run into issues. You should see that you will loose connection to the network but this lasts only seconds and has to be.