Guest Additions 1.6 Fail on Debian (testing)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
jayes

Guest Additions 1.6 Fail on Debian (testing)

Post by jayes »

I just installed a plain vanilla version of Debian 4, lenny, as a guest in VirtualBox 1.6. No problems there. I installed the guest additions, which also appeared to proceed without problems.

After a reboot, however Xorg did not start up. It complained about not being able to find usable screens.

I can get Xorg going by running "/etc/init.d/vboxadd start", but when I set the screen resolution to 1024 x 768 it really is much smaller (fonts and icons are very big).

Network and shares are not available.

Same problems with a Debian 4 installation that was created with VirtualBox 1.5. No problems with Ubuntu 8.

Anyone know a fix or workaround?

Thanks.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

We were not able to reproduce this problem, we tried this with current Debian/Lenny. Please could you open a bug report and attach the file /var/log/vboxadd-install.log there? Note that shared folders require a working vboxvfs driver in the guest.
jayes

Post by jayes »

I tried again...

Installed VirtualBox 1.6 on a Debian Lenny Host. I used my existing Debian, Ubuntu and XP virtual machines. Everything was OK (with previous guest additions still in place). Next I installed the new 1.6 guest additions.

Ubuntu 8.04 guest:
no problems.

Debian Lenny guest:
[1] Network problem was easily solved by resetting the connection in GNOME. For some reason it was disabled.
[2] X can't find screens, which can be fixed more or less, by running
"sudo /etc/int.d/vboxadd start" But after a reboot the huge fonts
were back again.
[3] Shares cannot be mounted, which can be fixed by running
"sudo modprobe vboxvfs"

Apparently the guest additions are not loaded. There's another post that also points at this: link

Windows XP guest:
Can't mount share anymore. Device not found.
jayes

Post by jayes »

Problem with shares on XP is fixed. Apparently the Guest Additions have to be installed twice. Windows found 'new hardware' after I had installed the additions, and rebooted, so I assumed the installation was finished. But it was not.