Networking not working properly

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
ProcessDown

Networking not working properly

Post by ProcessDown »

Hey, i'm trying to get Kali Linux 64-bit running on VirtualBox and whenever I start the virtual machine or enable my wifi adapter in the devices menu it will completely disconnect me from my wifi adapter and connects it to my virtual machine, but because the virtual machine runs off the hosts internet not it's own, it doesn't connect to the internet at all, my adapter is a Netgear WNA3100, any help is appreciated, thanks.

P.s I'm very new to linux and pretty much all coding language so i'm sorry if I don't really understand some stuff.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Networking not working properly

Post by socratis »

Fact: you cannot have a shared USB device. It's either the host or the guest, not both.
Solution: do not capture your USB WiFi adapter from the guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ProcessDown

Post by ProcessDown »

socratis wrote:Fact: you cannot have a shared USB device. It's either the host or the guest, not both.
Solution: do not capture your USB WiFi adapter from the guest.
Where is this setting, I can't seem to find it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There is no "setting" per se, but I believe that you have enabled a USB filter for your WiFi adapter. Look under: VM Settings, Ports, USB, USB device filters. If you have a filter for your WiFi adapter, either disable it (un-check it) or remove it altogether.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ProcessDown

Post by ProcessDown »

socratis wrote:There is no "setting" per se, but I believe that you have enabled a USB filter for your WiFi adapter. Look under: VM Settings, Ports, USB, USB device filters. If you have a filter for your WiFi adapter, either disable it (un-check it) or remove it altogether.
I removed the filter and it still seems to be doing it, are there any network settings I should have, I've got it set on bridged connection should it be something else?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It shouldn't be capturing your USB WiFi if there is no filter for it, nor you're not choosing to do so on purpose.

As, for your network, try the NAT option. It should work right out of the box.
ProcessDown

Post by ProcessDown »

socratis wrote:It shouldn't be capturing your USB WiFi if there is no filter for it, nor you're not choosing to do so on purpose.

As, for your network, try the NAT option. It should work right out of the box.
There are no NAT connection in virtualbox, but the NAT setting did work when I first ran my Linux Virtual Machine but I need to be connected to the WIFI so I can detect the WIFI signals around my house so I can help my friend out with something, but seeing as I cannot access the WIFI adapter on my VM I can't do this.