All day installing vb and Linux mint

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
sylvia2406

All day installing vb and Linux mint

Post by sylvia2406 »

I have spent the best part of today attempting to get host Windows 7 and Linux Mint to install.
My OS is Windows 7 64 bit and my hardware is 64 bit. So why could I not install 64bit VB and 64bit Linux Mint?
I was successful in the end by installing 32 bit VB and 32 bit Linux Mint.
Other strange things -- I have wireless only but VB thinks it is ethernet but I can get on the internet.
I don't have any IDE controllers but VB says I do and cannot see my SATA devices.
When Linux Mint first appeared on my desktop it didn't have any menu. After playing around somewhat it decided to show itself.
My usb devices don't work.
This is my first foray into Linux. My first impressions are that it's crazy.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: All day installing vb and Linux mint

Post by Perryg »

Perhaps if you post the guests log file we can see what you issues are. Post it as an attachment!

Hint: right click the guest in the VBox main manager and left click on show log. Save and post ( as an attachment )
sylvia2406

Post by sylvia2406 »

I have had some bad and ultimately good changes this morning.
When I first started VBox and then Linux Mint it crashed.

The second time I started it I was amazed to see that my dual monitors were working. The mouse capture problem had disappeared. The Linux Mint interface appeared in all its glory including the menu, panel and some other stuff that I hadn't seen before. After playing about I got the USB2 working but my USB 3 ports will not work. It still says I have a wired network but I haven't. I only have a wireless network. There's no ethernet cables at all. It now says I now have a SATA controller but it also says I have an IDE but there is no IDE on this computer.

Internet and sound are all working fine. It gives some warning about sound but it seems to be working properly. I listened to my audio book this morning and later went on YouTube and the sound was good.

I don't know how to get my network going, if this is possible.

This is all weird to me. It was a pain yesterday but this morning things are good.

I am attaching the log file if you still want to see it. But as the system is working properly I don't suppose there's much point.

One thing I have noticed, and I don't know if it's related; I am having trouble getting into the BIOS. It took about 5 attempts before I managed it. Does VBox write something to the boot menu? I never had any problem before I installed it.

The first log file I tried to upload was rejected because it was too large. I have uploaded an earlier one.
Attachments
Linux-2014-04-17-07-28-00.log
(75.09 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

just to clear up something for you, the settings and controllers etc. you see in VirtualBox are to help set up guest OSs. They are not to indicate what you may or may not have on your host machine.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

VirtualBox VM 4.3.10 r93012 win.amd64
00:00:00.896978 Guest OS type: 'Linux26'
00:00:29.880893 Guest Additions information report: Version 4.2.16 r86992 '4.2.16_Ubuntu'

Some things you can try:
1) You used Linux26 for the type of guest and should use Ubuntu since that is what Mint is based on.
2) You need to remove the guest additions that are pre-installed in Mint and install the VirtualBox ones instead.
3) You need to make sure that you have enabled 3D acceleration in the video section of the guest additions.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

sylvia2406 wrote:It still says I have a wired network but I haven't
sylvia2406 wrote:it also says I have an IDE but there is no IDE
Dear Sylvia, the name of the program is VirtualBox, and as the first part suggests, it is not presenting the real hardware to your guest, but a virtual one. Do not expect to see your actual audio, video, network, HD controller presented to your guest. Your guest sees a well known and emulated piece of hardware.
sylvia2406 wrote:my USB 3 ports will not work
A known limitation which will hopefully be resolved in time.
sylvia2406 wrote:I am having trouble getting into the BIOS...Does VBox write something to the boot menu?
No, it doesn't.

Finally, to add to Perryg's suggestions, I would read Chapter 1 of the user manual (First Steps) to get a better grasp about the basics of virtualization.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.