Video Card Sensitivity

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
veloz

Video Card Sensitivity

Post by veloz »

Hi there
Usually when one is about to buy new hardware on which one will run linux, a big question is what video card that hardware has and is it supported by linux.

I'm wondering if this is still an important question/issue when one is running linux inside a vbox?

I don't understand the internals of virtualbox that well, but I'm guessing the underlying video card and the host driver aren't exposed to the guest; and that the guest is interacting with a virtualized video driver and thus is not affected much by what particular video card is being used.

Is this a reasonable assumption...or do we still need to make sure that the real video card is well supported by the linux guest we are going to run?

Michael
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Video Card Sensitivity

Post by socratis »

Michael, your understanding is almost correct. The "guest" OS will not see your actual graphics card. But, VirtualBox will utilize and take advantage of the capabilities of your graphics card, especially its OpenGL capabilities. I would go with a powerful, yet proven (from a drivers point of view) graphics card from one of the major vendors.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.