lost guest? [SOLVED]

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mafan

lost guest? [SOLVED]

Post by mafan »

hi everybody, i've a centos guest and 'ive tried to install fluxbox. after "yum install fluxbox" i've edited /etc/X11/prefdm setting preferred X manager = /usr/bin/fluxbox. after reboot centos start but the screen remains blank and i cannot fill any text or input (of course fluxbox doesn't start).

i can do something to change my settings? my guest is lost?

thanks for your help.
Last edited by mafan on 16. Apr 2014, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: lost guest?

Post by loukingjr »

Do you backup your drive or guests? The easiest way would be to restore it from a backup. That being said, your question has nothing to do with VirtualBox and everything to do with CentOS so you would be more likely to get help in a CentOS forum. I'm not sure why you edited the file you did but normally if you install a new window manager such as Fluxbox you just select it as a session at start up. If you can remember what the file said before you edited it you could drop into the terminal at the black screen and edit it in nano or vim. whichever CentOS has.

If you use Snapshots you could restore to a Snapshot that you made before you tried to install Fluxbox.

The other thing you could try if you have another guest is attach the CentOS .vdi to it as a second drive, open it from the guest, and try to edit the file back to the way it was.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mafan

Re: lost guest?

Post by mafan »

i've solved thanks anyway.

[F12 -> grub -> edit kernel line to get cli boot -> nano -w /etc/X11/prefdm]

to make it work i've created a .xinitrc file in my home dir.
mafan

Re: lost guest? [SOLVED]

Post by mafan »

@loukingjr

you're right that was a linux problem. i've posted here hoping for some vbox trick to get the old system back or a way to manipulate from home file saved on guest. cheers.