Internal networking mode:unable to use yum to update

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mike004

Internal networking mode:unable to use yum to update

Post by mike004 »

I want to create a private network of two Linux guests.
The internal betworking feature of VirtualBox is great for this. But it doesn't allow me to connect to the internet from the Linux guests. For example, if i want to update packages using yum.

My idea is to create two network adapters for each guest: one adapter as NAT, one adapter as Internal network.
To update the Linux guest: enable NAT adapter, disable Internal Network adapter.
Then switch back when the guest is updated using yum.
A bit of hacking of the /etc/hosts file should get this working, I think.

Any easier solutions for this?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Internal networking mode:unable to use yum to update

Post by socratis »

Your ideas are a correct way of doing it. A couple of notes:
1) You don't have to disable the internal while you enable NAT. Both of them can be active at the same time.
2) You don't have to do anything with the "/etc/hosts" file.
3) If you want to "have your cake and eat it too", you could accomplish both VM-communication and Internet-access if you use bridged network (and you have a DHCP enabled router). That is if you need internet access all the time.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mike004

Re: Internal networking mode:unable to use yum to update

Post by mike004 »

Thanks, Socratis.
I will go for NAT + Internal Network adapters.

I have been trying out the new NAT Network mode of VirtualBox 4.3.
That is *exactly* the networking mode I need. But it doesn't seem to work too good at the moment...too many bugs, I fear.