Dynamic Virtual Drive issues

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
hroberts89436

Dynamic Virtual Drive issues

Post by hroberts89436 »

OK I have a hardware raid of 20tb. It is seen by windows as 1 20 tb drive.

I created a Linux Mint machine on virtual box with a 12gb dynamically created vdi drive. My issue is the vdi file is currently 3.97 gb. However Linux Mint is telling me that I only have 25mb left on my drive. The drive itself shows 17,147 GB free. I can't do updates on linux mint nor install guest additions due to not enough free space.

I have had this issue with other OSes as well and final just started creating fixed size accounts

Why is this? What is going on and What do I need to do to fix this?

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Dynamic Virtual Drive issues

Post by mpack »

I see no relevance in this question to "Windows Hosts". Moving to "Linux Guests".

You can rule out the possibility that VirtualBox has a bug in this area: dynamic VDI is a feature that everyone uses every day. Also, if Linux is telling you you have 25MB left, then you have 25MB left in the partition you're writing to.

Obvious answer: you are not writing to the partition you should be.

p.s. I have no idea what you mean by "fixed size accounts". Are you talking about a Linux account with a disk quota attached? If so then this would seem to be an obvious reason why available space doesn't equal disk size.

If you want to discuss this further then please post a VM log file. See Minimum information needed for assistance.