Graphics 'stick' with guest additions 4.3.8 on Ubuntu 13.10

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
hlilje
Primary OS: MS Windows 8
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 14.04 (64-Bit)

Re: Graphics 'stick' with guest additions 4.3.8 on Ubuntu 13

Post by hlilje »

bathynomusVB wrote:Possible related issue: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60548

Enabling 3D support appears to have fixed my graphics issues with slow drawing windows and tabs opening.
I don't think that is related if you are referring to 3D acceleration. I have always used that, don't know how you could bare the slowness without it.
hlilje

Post by hlilje »

I tried with the new 4.3.10 VB and Guest Additions today - no difference. The only thing I have been able to find out is that the older version in the repo works (and presumably also really old version of the guest additions iso), but then Unity breaks instead.
exussum

Post by exussum »

Its still there for me in 4.3.10 too, Im using xubuntu no no unity here.

Ive not tried the repo version
hlilje

Post by hlilje »

Update to anyone interested. I tried the Guest Additions 4.3.0 iso, and so far the problem seems to be resolved.
It would be nice to run the latest version, though, but atm I'm just happy to have it working.
I'll post an update if I encounter any errors with 4.3.0 and the guest redraw/update issue.
exussum

Post by exussum »

Also im having an issue mounting a shared folder, Pretty sure its related.

Instead of mount -t vboxsf ..... i need to run /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-4.3.10/lib/VBoxGuestAdditions/mount.vboxsf

The first way gives

Code: Select all

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on sotarage,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
       need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
dmesg shows

Code: Select all

sf_read_super_aux err=-22
Guest additions are running ( I can enter full screen mode) but as the rest of this thread, I need to disable 3D acceleration. Copy and Paste between Guest and Host works fine.

There are no errors when installing the guest additions, and falling back to an older version does also seem to work
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

this is not the recommended way of using shared folders however, but it works for me.

in the shared folder settings in VB, select the folder you want to share, check auto-mount and permanent if the guest is off. start your guest, add your user name to the vboxsf group, then restart the guest. the shared folder will be in /media. you can bookmark it to the side pane if you like.

btw, you're not suppose to post a different problem(shared folders) in a thread about graphics.
Last edited by loukingjr on 17. Apr 2014, 09:33, edited 2 times in total.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
exussum

Post by exussum »

Im not sure that will work still as the link seems to be broken. using the whole path of the guest additions works its the short version that doesnt.

To reply to your edit.

Both stopped working at a similar time. Possibly the same time but I didn't confirm when the graphics problem first occurred. The graphics problem and the Mounting problem are both currently there at the same time after a fresh install of the Guest Additions (removing the old ones)

The guest additions installation reports no errors when installed

Both problems also disappear when falling back to an older version of GA
Last edited by exussum on 16. Apr 2014, 15:33, edited 2 times in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

exussum wrote:Im not sure that will work still as the link seems to be broken. using the whole path of the guest additions works its the short version that doesnt.
try it, you'll like it.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I don't know what to say at this point. I am running Ubuntu 13.10 as I type in VirtualBox 4.3.10 and I have no "sticking" graphics nor do I have a problem with auto-mounted shared folders. There is an issue with a broken link pointing to the wrong place in 4.3.10 but it doesn't affect auto-mounted shared folders. Hopefully someone else can come up with something.
exussum

Post by exussum »

hlilje I had an update for virtualbox-guest-x11 (and some others - but the x11 seems most on topic) Since this update everything has been working correct, with the 3D acceleration
hlilje

Post by hlilje »

exussum wrote:hlilje I had an update for virtualbox-guest-x11 (and some others - but the x11 seems most on topic) Since this update everything has been working correct, with the 3D acceleration
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm also currently using x11 from the Ubuntu repo, but this gives me the same problem.
I got it to work with a really old version of the iso from VirtualBox website, but this stopped working at all when I installed Ubuntu 14.04.
hlilje

Post by hlilje »

I was waiting for the next VB release, but it seems as if the problem remains with Guest Additions 4.3.12.
Unfortunately I can't downgrade the Guest Additions as mentioned earlier to fix this, since the latest Xserver isn't compatible with the older versions.
Am I really the only person suffering from this? I can't think of anything other than the graphics card (Nvidia GTX670) being incompatible through Ubuntu somehow.
It's extremely annoying to not have the screen redraw properly, and getting traces and stuck graphical elements.
I guess I will just have to downgrade Ubuntu to some lower version so that I in turn can downgrade the Guest Additions, since I can't wait and hope for the next VB update.
brazilbean

Post by brazilbean »

I am having this problem too. Super obnoxious. :P

When scrolling, the page (in any application) does not update immediately. When changing tabs the content does not update until I scroll or move the mouse (or wait several seconds). These symptoms only appeared after installing the VirtualBox-provided Guest Additions. Before that I was using the repository (apt-get) Guest Additions, but the 3D acceleration wasn't working (which had its own problems).

Runtime Attributes

Screen Resolution
1600x1200x32 @0,0

VT-x/AMD-V
Enabled

Nested Paging
Enabled

Unrestricted Execution
Enabled

Guest Additions
4.3.16 r95972

Guest OS Type
Linux 2.6 / 3.x (64 bit)
Zeppe

Post by Zeppe »

This problem affects me as well, running Ubuntu 15.04 on VBox 5.0.2r102096 and virtualbox-guest-x11 4.3.26
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Zeppe wrote:This problem affects me as well, running Ubuntu 15.04 on VBox 5.0.2r102096 and virtualbox-guest-x11 4.3.26
You need to remove the guest additions from the Ubuntu repos and install the ones that come with VirtualBox by selecting "Insert Guest Additions CD Image…" from the Devices menu.