Guest Additions on Fedora 6

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mad

Guest Additions on Fedora 6

Post by mad »

Hi,
I need some help to install guest additions under Fedora 6. I already made it under Suse, Ubuntu and Debian.

I Always get the message to install the build and header files. But I already installed the kernel headers. So what is missing?

Thanks for your help.
PuNkErX

Post by PuNkErX »

I got it to work by doing a base install, and yum install linux-headers-`uname -r`

I just got it working about 2 hours ago, now if only I could get linux to talk nicely with Open Dir :(
mad

Post by mad »

PuNkErX wrote:I got it to work by doing a base install, and yum install linux-headers-`uname -r`

I just got it working about 2 hours ago, now if only I could get linux to talk nicely with Open Dir :(
Hi,
thanks for your fast answer. I just tried the command line but it seems something is wrong with my Fedora.
I' get the following message:
"No match for argument: Linux-headers-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
nothing to do"

As I read in the manual, I tried the kernel-devel. For this name a Package was found and installed. But I still get the same message to install the build an header files.
Some more help needed.
:cry:
Cogar

Post by Cogar »

Regarding installing Guest Additions in a FC6 guest, if you are using the default kernel, you will have the fewest problems if you install the kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.src.rpm file downloaded from here:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/f ... rce/SRPMS/

During the installation process, a half dozen other packages will be installed to resolve dependencies. I tried this on a test machine and it worked fine.

(I never understood why the Fedora Core folks decided to avoid putting the kernel source on the install DVD or CDs.)
mad

Post by mad »

Cogar wrote:Regarding installing Guest Additions in a FC6 guest, if you are using the default kernel, you will have the fewest problems if you install the kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.src.rpm file downloaded from here:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/f ... rce/SRPMS/

During the installation process, a half dozen other packages will be installed to resolve dependencies. I tried this on a test machine and it worked fine.

(I never understood why the Fedora Core folks decided to avoid putting the kernel source on the install DVD or CDs.)
Hmmm,
when I try to install the .rpm file I get the message that it does not update the installed package and can't be installed. What the hell am I doing wrong?
Cogar

Post by Cogar »

Let me make one guess. The Fedora Core 6 installer (Anaconda) has a known bug that will install the wrong kernel on some Pentium processors.

Enter uname -r on the command line to print out your kernel. If it ends i586, and you have a Pentium 4 or newer processor, you have been affected by this bug.

There are two solutions. The most failsafe one is to reinstall entering the command

linux i686

when starting the install process. This makes sure the kernel that supports i686 processors is installed.

The second solution is to update the kernel as described here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC6C ... 3a3822f143
mad

Post by mad »

Cogar wrote:Let me make one guess. The Fedora Core 6 installer (Anaconda) has a known bug that will install the wrong kernel on some Pentium processors.

Enter uname -r on the command line to print out your kernel. If it ends i586, and you have a Pentium 4 or newer processor, you have been affected by this bug.

There are two solutions. The most failsafe one is to reinstall entering the command

linux i686

when starting the install process. This makes sure the kernel that supports i686 processors is installed.

The second solution is to update the kernel as described here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC6C ... 3a3822f143
Well, I think you are right. I've got a Core 2 Duo but this stupid Anaconda installed i568 kernel. ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Hopefully now I will get this thing running. :x