Problem with monitor size

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
william5271

Problem with monitor size

Post by william5271 »

I am running SUSE 10.2 on a WinXP Home box. The screen for the vm is at 800x600 resolution. I would like to bump it up to a large resolution, but when SUSE will not let me change the res. I assume it has something to do with the vm graphics driver. What can I do?

William :D
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

What you need to do? RTFM, UTFS and then come back when it works. It's described dozens of times.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Pliam

Post by Pliam »

I have the same problem to.

I run Ubuntu 7.10 guest in windows vista predium SP1 as a host and i tried changing the monitor type and it showed bigger resuits and it told me to log off and when i did the screen got F**ked up
PGHammer

Configuring the screen resolution (Linux guests)

Post by PGHammer »

Pliam wrote:I have the same problem to.

I run Ubuntu 7.10 guest in windows vista predium SP1 as a host and i tried changing the monitor type and it showed bigger resuits and it told me to log off and when i did the screen got F**ked up
The issue is more with X.org (and it's differences from XFree86). You have to change the default monitor from the one normally used with VB (which is your basic 15" CRT with a usual top resolution of 1024x768 and a 60 Hz NI refresh rate). The only Linux distribution which makes it relatively easy to solve this is Mandriva (and even with Mandriva, you have to go into the Control Center first); with everybody else (and that includes Ubuntu, unfortunately) you have to shut down the X server and re-configure the X.org server manually, plugging in the resolutions and refresh rates you want). I have VB set up on a Vista Ultimate x86 host, but am running on an extremely atypical 19" CRT (with a top and typical host resolution of 1600x1200 with a 75 Hz NI refresh rate, with 32-bit color, of course). For my guests (Linux guests, that is) I cut the resolution down to 1280x1024, but keep the 75 Hz refresh rate and 16.7 million colors that is the Linux desktop ceiling. Naturally, you can't use any 3D desktop effects in a Linux guest.
Mactool

Post by Mactool »

I ran into the same issue using Ubuntu 7.10 on VirtualBox, after installing the VirtualBox tools. I was stuck at a resolution of 700x400 or something.

To fix it, I ran
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

which reconfigures the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
file. This allowed me to specify which display resolutions I wanted Ubuntu to support. I specified 1024x768 and 800x600. Upon logging back in, the resolution was fixed, but I had no mouse pointer showing.

I fixed this by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Under
Input Device
"Configured Mouse"

the driver was set to "mouse"
I changed that to "vboxmouse", and logging back in everything seemed good.