[Solved] access micro SD card problem

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
SLC

[Solved] access micro SD card problem

Post by SLC »

Hello,
I meet a problem to access A SD Card

data:
laptop: Lenovo T430S
VM VirtualBox : 4.2.12r84986
Host: window7
Guest:Ubuntu 12.10

Problem:
I try to access a micro SD card through my SD reader (Ricoh PCIe SDXC/MMC Host Controller Ver 7).
I plugged the SD card on the SR reader expecting to see the SD card icon on the linux desktop but nothing is visble. I checked the ./media repertory, no SD card.

I typed the following command, on a Terminal : sudo fdisk -l to see if the SD card was detected : nothing.
I typed lpsci : no SD Card reader detected ???

So, I tried to find a solution: I did another test using a Linux Live USB key (pendrivelinux).
From the USB key when I plug the Sd card I see an Sd icon on the desktop but I get an error message "adding read ACL for iud 999 ..."
from this point when I type : sudo fdisk -l, I can see the SD card and if, I mount it manually (sudo mount -t ext2 device directory; I can see the contained of the SD card

Could you please, help me to resolve this problem under VM virtualBox?
Is there a limitation that doesn't allow to access SD card form VM virtualBox?

Thansk for your answers and support
regards
Serge

but i can not
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: access micro SD card problem

Post by mpack »

The simulated VM hardware does not include an SDcard reader, as the error message from the guest is telling you. It should however be possible to access an sd card via a USB sdcard reader. It's also possible that your host SDcard reader is connected to the USB bus (you would have to check), in which case a USB filter in the VM settings might grab it - no guarantees.
SLC

Re: access micro SD card problem

Post by SLC »

it works !!!
Thanks for the advice :D

Regards
mahengunawardena

Re: [Solved] access micro SD card problem

Post by mahengunawardena »

Host: Windows7
Guest: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

I am trying to access the SDcard from Ubuntu

I don't see the SD card under storage devices or even under USB devices in Virtual box. Can you please point the any write up on how to configure the SD card so that it appears as a storage device or even a USB devices

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

It will only show up as a USB device if it is indeed a USB device.

The easiest way to access files on an sdcard (or any other host media, including USB drives) is to create a folder there then access it as a shared folder. For details on Shared Folders see section 4.3 of the user manual (Guest Additions | Shared Folders).
Zach Pfeffer

Post by Zach Pfeffer »

I wrote up a step-by-step guide with pictures here: https://www.centennialsoftwaresolutions ... -windows-7
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Zach Pfeffer
Keep in mind that not all host operating systems will allow you to capture the USB device "on-the-fly" from the Devices menu, they might require the use of a USB filter. See USB basics and troubleshooting for more info.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.