shared folders not seen

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
himagain

Re: shared folders not seen

Post by himagain »

Perryg wrote:Well if your are determined on using auto mount you will find them in /media/sf_DOCS.
Just remember that asking for any help regarding permission issues isn't going to go well.
Oh no, I use auto things when ok. THe warnings about this specific case I have taken in.

I'm now happy to C&P into the "BSOD" (as it was known in the old days) when helped. :D
It used to be a dangerous thing to do, as low-animals used to post code which trashed your system in the DOS days. Much safer nowadays as people are often either Mods or have many posts as a check.

The problem now is that the code you gave me earlier came up with an error.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't delete the whole Shared exercise and start again - the existing entries could be a problem themselves??

Cheers,
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

If you want to do this the way it will work I would say to delete the shares (from the guest settings -> shared folder, while the guest is shut down, not saved state.

Then create them again one at a time so you can follow the proper order.

Here is a guide on what to do:
  • Create a new share and use the file manager to locate the share you want (let's use the documents folder you used before)
  • Now after you select the folder make sure the folder name is simple, Let's use docs (notice the lower case)
  • Do not put a click in Auto-mount!
  • save it and start the guest.
  • Open a terminal and create the mount point then run the mount statement, and do not even worry about the /etc/rc.local file until you get this to work.
Here are the commands you will use.

First create the mount point

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /mnt/docs
Mount the share

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t vboxsf -o rw,uid=1000,gid=1000 docs /mnt/docs
This will create your share on the guest at /mnt/docs.
Use the Linux terminal or file manager to see if they exist.

By the way the guest additions must be installed on the guest for the shared folders to work. Did you install them?
himagain

Post by himagain »

Hi Perry,
Well, I followed your instructions to the letter and

HALLELUJAH!

it has only taken since 1984 to get to this precise point in the real usability of the PC system for me :-) :-)

Thank you very much for your patient assistance, I shall now go mad dictating forwards and backwards through both systems in comfort and security! :-)

Cheers!