Guest Additions

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
Ed

Guest Additions

Post by Ed »

I am new to both VirtualBox and Linux (I do have some UNIX background) and seem to be having issues trying to get Guest Additions working correctly. I have tried reading though posts which have not solved my problem.

I am running:
Host: Windows 7 64bit on my laptop
VirurtualBox 4.1.14 r77440 (I upgraded from 4.1.12 which I used for the original OS install)

Guest: Oracle Linux server 5 update 8

I have tried to make sure I have everything I need and ran the following commands:
yum update
yum install kernel-devel
yum install gcc
yum install elfutils-libelf-devel
yum install libstdc++-devel
yum install glibc-devel
yum install libaio-devel
yum install gcc-c++
yum install pdksh

When booting up my Linux guest I get the following error: Starting Virtual Box Guest Additions [Failed]

I have checked that C:\ProgramFiles\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso is there.

If I try to install guest additions I get "VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED" error with a question of "do I want to force mount". I have tried to force mount and then I do not get an error on install guest additions; however, I still get the error during boot up that guest additions failed.

When I go into the Linux guest and check the VBoxGuestAdditions.log file I see (modprobe vboxguest failed) Starting VirtualBox Guest Additions service VirtualBox Additions module not loaded!

Thanks for any help on this.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Guest Additions

Post by Perryg »

What were the errors you received when installing?
What does /var/log/vboxadd-install.log say?
Ed

Post by Ed »

I have tried to run the Guest Additions install from the LInux Desktop using the mounted GuestAdditions.iso image there. In the vboxadd-install.log I see: /tmp/vbox.0/Makefile.include.header:97: *** Error: unable to find the source of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run make again. Stop.
Creating user for Guest Additions.
Creating udev rule for Guest Additions kernel module.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Sounds like you need the headers that match your (running) kernel.
Ed

Post by Ed »

Is there a file I should edit? Is there something in /user/include/linux/ that I should be looking at? Or an environment variable that needs to be set.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Shouldn't need to edit anything. Just install the linux kernel-headers that matches your running kernel.
You can see the running kernel with uname -r in a terminal. you can install with kernel-headers-$(uname -r)
Ed

Post by Ed »

Thanks for the information. This Oracle Linux install seems to have some quirks. I ran the uname -r and it provided me the kernel information. It seems that kernel-headers has been replaced with kernel-uek-headers. I ran "up2date kernel-headers" and got the message that the package had been marked to be skipped by your configuration. I did a bit of google work and found that some installs use kernel-uek-headers so I ran "yum install kernel-uek-headers" and it said that I already had latest so no action was taken. Neither kernel-headers-$(uname -r) or kernel-uek-headers-$(uname -r) seems to be commands that can be run to update the kernel headers. I looked around /usr/include/linux/kernel.h and did not see anything that I can use or update there. Any ideas?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Assuming that you have rebooted the guest, I would grep the headers and make sure they actually match the running kernel. You can also try to revert to an older kernel and get that working (with dkms installed) and then upgrade to the uek kernel so it pulls in the proper headers.
streetbiker

Post by streetbiker »

bifurcatedpanda

Post by bifurcatedpanda »

Small correction that may help (did for me): try installing linux-headers-*etc instead of kernel-headers-*other_stuff.
Assuming use of apt-get, not familiar with syntax of other package managers.
herakles

Guest Additions on PORTEUS VM !

Post by herakles »

HI everybody !
:D
I am having the same issue with a mont 17 host and a Porteus Rc 3.0 guest !
The point is that neither yum nor apt not $(uname) works on this "new slackware " form !
So how do I update my kernel headers please ?
Though the modules installation isn;t that complicated or the building of Virtualbox and Guest Addons,how to work it out ? :)

Caron
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Guest Additions on PORTEUS VM !

Post by loukingjr »

herakles wrote:HI everybody !
The point is that neither yum nor apt not $(uname) works on this "new slackware " form !
Though the modules installation isn;t that complicated or the building of Virtualbox and Guest Addons,how to work it out ? :)

Caron
http://www.porteus.org/faq.html#twelve
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Re: Guest Additions on PORTEUS VM !

Post by Perryg »

herakles wrote:HI everybody !

Caron
We do not support Operating systems. That's a question for Porteus.