Can't install Open Suzie -11-Alpha2

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
steve723

Can't install Open Suzie -11-Alpha2

Post by steve723 »

I can not get Open Suzie-11-Alpha2 to install. I get to create swap partition or create swap file and nether one works i press enter and it just keeps asking. I suspect that its partitioning part of the installer is not finding the hard drive even though VirtualBox was able to create it. Please help. :?
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

1. check again/create new hard drive. 10GB at least.

2. ensure guest VM has at least 512MB of RAM (your host physical PC must have at least 1GB of RAM)

3. make sure you install non-PAE kernel. (kernel-default) instead of kernel-bigsmp, or your final system won't boot.

-Technologov
steve723

Post by steve723 »

I have 768 Megs of ram so I changed the VM to 512 and tried again it ran the installation and rebooted to set up the first boot but it is stuck on the online registration part. The host seems to be thrashing. I will go run the top command to find out.... yep thrashing the swap file is 15G and 900Megs is already in use. I will try closing some programs... That helped a little but I need to reboot the host so it re allocates the memory properly and then I won't run so many memory intensive things at the same time. Apparently some Linux distros are memory hogs. :wink: I might have to re enter some information but I know that the Suzie installer can recover most of where it left off. I wounder if I could get away with a bit less than 512 Megs for the vm?
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Well, in your case, yes, guest RAM *can* be lowered to about 320 MB of RAM. This may require some swapping in guest however.

Plus do _not_ do any online registrations/tests whatever, as it will take ages.
steve723

Post by steve723 »

I got it installed so I could evaluate it. I decided that it is too much of a memory hog so I will try another distro. This thing is :twisted: That reminds me of Winblows!
aj59

Post by aj59 »

steve723 wrote:I got it installed so I could evaluate it. I decided that it is too much of a memory hog so I will try another distro. This thing is :twisted: That reminds me of Winblows!
Are you saying that Virtual Box reminds you of Windows?

Virtual Box works pretty well, considering the price.

But ALL software applications have certain hardware requirements. And considering that using VB is the same as running two operating systems at once, just what do you expect?
steve723

Post by steve723 »

aj59 wrote:
steve723 wrote:I got it installed so I could evaluate it. I decided that it is too much of a memory hog so I will try another distro. This thing is :twisted: That reminds me of Winblows!
Are you saying that Virtual Box reminds you of Windows?

Virtual Box works pretty well, considering the price.

But ALL software applications have certain hardware requirements. And considering that using VB is the same as running two operating systems at once, just what do you expect?
No no, You misunderstand. I meant that that Linux distro reminded me of Microsoft bloatware. :)