Lost available display resolutions after update?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
um007
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Re: Lost available display resolutions after update?

Post by um007 »

I installed it using the "VirtualBox > Devices > Install Guest Additions..." to mount the Guest Additions drive, and then ran the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run from there. I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 as the guest os. Is there something that would be causing this behavior?

Thanks for your help!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Yes there is. Ubuntu 11.* comes with their version of the guest additions pre-installed. When you installed the VirtualBox guest additions you should have seen a message about removing them before installing the ones from VirtualBox to prevent conflicts.

What you need to do is remove the guest additions completely (using synaptic or aptitude) reboot the guest and then install the VirtualBox guest additions again. This should clean up the conflicts and allow you to have the benefits of the guest additions.

Note: I don't think that 11.10 comes with synaptic or aptitude pre-installed. They prefer to use their software center (which I find a piece of junk) It's your decision but installing synaptic or aptitude works fine.
arlenn
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04

Post by arlenn »

synaptic:

Yes, they do. Its just not as obvious in the menu system. esp. if one is using unity.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

Perhaps you upgraded to 11.10. Like I said it is easy to install, but should not have been pre-installed.
Also aptitude install had issues early on (also not installed by default). Not well supported and the menu was torked beyond use. I think they have that fixed now though
um007

Post by um007 »

I did have to install Synptic Package Manager. However, I do not have any virtualbox packages that are installed. (the 4.1.2 version is the only version that shows up in any of the repositories.) What would the name be of the packages to remove?

I tried to uninstall any possible versions of Guest Additions using: sudo sh /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-4.1.*/uninstall.sh

I also uninstalled from the Guest Additions device using: sudo sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run uninstall

When I reboot my OS, I am still seeing an error in the Xorg.0.log:
Failed to load module "vboxvideo" (module does not exist, 0)

So it looks like even after uninstalling there are still references to the vbox modules that were not removed.

Is there a way to completely remove the guest additions changes so I can try reinstalling it fresh?
Thanks.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Install synaptic and then search for virtualbox. easiest way there is.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install synaptic
It should find all things virtualbox and you need to select to purge/remove everything marked virtualbox completely.
um007

Post by um007 »

I did this, but no virtualbox packages came up as installed.

I tried the other uninstall methods I mentioned above since I couldn't find any packages to uninstall using synaptic.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

What happens if you try to install the guest additions (using the device install guest additions)?