Networking problem

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
JohnSnyder

Networking problem

Post by JohnSnyder »

I have installed Ubuntu 7.1 as a guest inside of a Windows Vista host. I can read from and write to my shared folder and I can connect to the Internet. When I view the local network, I see the various devices that are connected to the network. However, when I double click on them trying to see directories, I get the error message "The folder contents could not be displayed".

I have installed Windows XP as another guest inside of this same Windows Vista host. With this Windows XP virtual machine, I can read all the network devices without problem.

Any suggestions as to what I can do in order to read the contents of my network devices?
JohnSnyder

Problem solved!

Post by JohnSnyder »

Through trial and error I fixed this problem.

Click on System/Administration/Network/Wired Connections/DNS. Under search domains, type the address of the router (in my case, 192.168.0.1). Now I can view not only the devices on my network, but also the shared folders on each device!
aj59

Post by aj59 »

Hi

I am running Ubuntu7.10 as a Guest on WinXP SP2.

I don't know what to change or configure to allow Ubuntu to see my network. when I try to browse to it, I just get that little spinning thingee.

I'm not sure where to even start as I'm pretty much of a nOOb when it comes to Linux networking.