Installi RedHat 7.2 (pretty old): I/O error on /tmp/hde

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
tucano
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Centos, Ubuntu, RedHat

Installi RedHat 7.2 (pretty old): I/O error on /tmp/hde

Post by tucano »

Hello, I've been trying to install Red Hat 7.2 Enigma.
I've mounted the 1st ISO image and when the VM starts booting from the CD, hde irq timeout error shows.
The installation process then starts (I use text mode) and select regular options (my native language, etc...). After choosing to install as a server, it asks me to autopartition, use Disk Druid or use fdisk. I've tried all options but then it appears again the "I/O error during read on /temp/hde". Someone could solve this problem? Thanks
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Re: Installi RedHat 7.2 (pretty old): I/O error on /tmp/hde

Post by stefan.becker »

Why not installing a modern version?

Anyway: Help is not possible, if you dont post details.

Exact error messages, log file, full guest configuration are a first step.
carolinason
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: win_xp, win7_32bit, ubuntu10.10_32bit, win98

Post by carolinason »

the default hard disk controller in VBOX is a sata controller and those drivers are not in redhat's linux kernel for that old of a release. the hard disk is read as /tmp/hde and will not except the changes made in fdisk.

add a hard disk to the ide controller in virtualbox in the storage settings as well as remove the sata controller.
i set the hard disk to the primary master and the cd as the secondary master
the disk is read as hda and is not able to be partitioned. you might have to delete the existing partition table to start editing the drive.

if you run into an X server issue use the text install.
sabertooth X58 | i7-950| 2@2GB 1600 | geforce gt 240 [19" 16:10, 19" 4:3] | [2@500GB / dvd+-RW] sata ahci | 600W
glyphrider

Post by glyphrider »

So, I just started playing around with this because of a lark in the office surrounding RH 7.2 "Enigma" and the new-ish-ly released RHEL 7.2. Anyway, selecting Linux 2.4 (32-bit) as the OS in VirtualBox results in an actual IDE controller being used for the HD. So, the install actually works.

If anyone has any ideas re: XFree86 under current VirtualBox, or how one might go about faking up2date into working in today's world, let me know.
mvanle

Post by mvanle »

glyphrider wrote:So, I just started playing around with this because of a lark in the office surrounding RH 7.2 "Enigma" and the new-ish-ly released RHEL 7.2. Anyway, selecting Linux 2.4 (32-bit) as the OS in VirtualBox results in an actual IDE controller being used for the HD. So, the install actually works.

If anyone has any ideas re: XFree86 under current VirtualBox, or how one might go about faking up2date into working in today's world, let me know.
I wrote a procedure for getting XF86_FBDev framebuffer driver working:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/710103/61504