Black screen after login on as a particular user

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
peturgretars
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Enterprise Linux 5.5

Black screen after login on as a particular user

Post by peturgretars »

Greetings,

On my Oracle Enterprise Linux 5 U5 guest OS I am all of a sudden getting a black screen after I have filled in the login details for the oracle user and I press enter. I can login as root without issues. I am pretty sure that this problem is the result of me trying to resize the window in the login process. Before I tried that it was working fine. Yeah, why couldn't I just wait for the login to finish and the resize. Damn..

So I would appreciate if someone could help me figure out some workaround for me so I can use oracle user and run applications.

a. How can I reset what ever settings I may have changed during my resize windows action.
b. Or can someone teach me to export the DISPLAY for oracle user to root's display. I tried
# DISPLAY=hostname:0.0
# export DISPLAY
but I get an error that it cannot connect to display.

Thanks very much in advance!
peturgretars

Re: Black screen after login on as a particular user

Post by peturgretars »

Btw. the host is Windows 7 64bit.
peturgretars

Post by peturgretars »

I have found a workaround I can use although I would like to solve me black screen issue.
For now I just login as root and run ssh -X oracle@localhost and then I can run applications and get them displayed to the screen.

Cheers!
peturgretars

Post by peturgretars »

If anyone knows how to reset the users display settings in VirtualBox I would appreciate some help on this one.
So with my root account I can connect to My Oracle Enterprise Linux guest in GNOME but not with the oracle user. I think it has something to do with me trying to resize the window in the middle of logon process.

Thanks!
jang
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: MS Windows 7

Post by jang »

I was having the same issue as well. but i resolved mine in a very strange way. on the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager i clicked on Help > Virtualbox website to research another issue that i was having with not being able to restore a snapshot then poof...then black screen went away and my desktop was visible again. dont know if this will work for you or if what i did had any relevance but i thought i'd post it since no one else has any input on your issue.
OldHead

Post by OldHead »

Actually having the same issue without working on my display. I carried out a series of setups including changing the 'oracle' user's group to oinstall. I believe it has something to do with the windows applications not having enough privileges. Thanks for your work around though. It has helped me mountains fold.