Can't find Debian package in Ubuntu 7.04 guest

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
bhawkins

Can't find Debian package in Ubuntu 7.04 guest

Post by bhawkins »

I am following the instructions to load the guest additions. First I am supposed to install a VirtualBox debian package, but I can't find it with
sudo dpkg virtualBox.....
When I try sudo dpkg -l
I get a long list, but no virtualbox packages in it.
On the assumption that maybe the kernal addions were already present, I
cd'd to the CDrom image and tried
sh .\VirtualBoxAdditions.run but no joy.
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

There is no debian package for the guest additions. Please refer to the user manual for help with installing the guest additions.

You have to select 'Machine / Install Guest Additions...'. This mounts a virtual CDROM image containing the guest additions. Then execute 'sudo sh /cdrom/VBoxLinuxAdditions.sh' (replace /cdrom with the path your distribution mounted the guest additions, perhaps you have to mount the additions manually).

If this the installation aborts have a look at the log file.
bhawkins

OK now

Post by bhawkins »

Actually, my problem was a simple as using a windows "\" instead of a Linux (and the rest of the world) "/". I remember how hard that was to learn whenWindows (or was it DOS) came in. Now I have to relearn it.

What isw confusing is that the instructions say (4.3.1. Installing the Linux Guest Additions) that you have to prepare your kernel and refer you to Section 2.2.2 Support for external kernel modules, which is where the debian package is referred to. I think I conclude that that is bult in in the later kernels?
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

No, unfortunately our guest kernel modules are not built into the later Linux kernels. And they probably won't for the next weeks as the interface is not stable enough.