No Virtual Box Scroll Bar

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
chris_m_28

Post by chris_m_28 »

Hi I am trying to install Ubuntu 7.10 into Virtual Box on my laptop. I have already successfully installed it on my desktop computer with Windows Server 2003 running as the host.

Even though the screen resolution while running from the Ubuntu live CD gave me a resolution of just 800x600. It was no problem because Virtual Box had a scroll bar on the right hand side of the window so I could scroll up and down and get to the rest of the Ubuntu screen.

I have installed the same version of Virtual Box (1.5.4) on my laptop with Windows Server 2003 running as the host. But when I start Virtual Box and boot from the Ubuntu live CD, Virtual Box is not giving me the scroll bar, so I can't scroll down to click on the Ubuntu buttons to finish my installation. The Window just cuts the screen off. Any ideas on how I can get the scroll bar back? PS Full Screen mode doesn't change the size of my Ubuntu window.
Lxs

Post by Lxs »

Chris, I have the same experience - will try to add some more detail...

This problem was not present when installing Ubuntu 7.04 within VBox 1.5.0 (host WinXP). Since this time I have uninstalled VBox 1.5.0, installed vbox .1.5.4 - and altered the Ubuntu iso from 7.04 to 7.10.

There seem to be two issues here:
1 - VBox screen size does not offer scroll bar (when window/wizard goes off-screen)
2 - Ubuntu 7.10 installation wizard not resizing for smaller screens (to report to Ubuntu bugzilla)

Taking a peak around the vbox and ubuntu forums I tried altering several settings without joy.

The Guest Additions is shown in the Virtual Disk Manager, but when I boot into the Ubuntu Live (guest) the "Devices > Install Guest Additions..." does not respond (even after leaving it a long time)