eth0 inet address range

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
GeertVc
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 12.04

eth0 inet address range

Post by GeertVc »

Hi,

I'm brand new to VirtualBox. Just installed a Linux Guest (Kubuntu 7.10, Linux kernel 2.6.22-14) on a WinXp (SP2) host.

Installation of the guest OS went fine. After installation, I was looking for the inet address given to eth0 on the guest OS.

I was a bit surprised because of the address: 10.0.2.15

Since all my PC's are behind a router (address 192.168.123.254), I was expecting an address for the guest OS in the range of 192.168.123.xxx (just like all my other PC's are assigned an address in that range).

However, that doesn't seem to be the case.
  • Is this a "normal" address?
  • Why is it not in the range 192.168.123.xxx (as my other PC's are)?
  • Can I modify this address (I can order the DHCP server in the router to assign a certain inet address to a certain MAC address)?
Best rgds,

--Geert
GeertVc

Post by GeertVc »

Hi,

Forgot to mention that I also attached the network adapter to NAT (default, I didn't change anything to the default settings).

Later on, while reading the User's Manual, I "discovered" other attach possibilities, one of them being the Host Interface.

I created a new Host Interface using the VB GUI. After creation, I saw the new Host Interface appearing in the Network Connections overview of XP.

I also followed the advise to "bridge" those two connections (I used VMware before, and there the network was bridged by default and all worked fine), but when the bridging was done, I didn't have any network access any more on my WinXP host. So, I had to delete the bridging to get back my internet connection.

So, I still must miss something.

But let me state my situation:

I have a router which is directly connected to the internet, using an ADSL line.

That router (US Robotics 8000) has 4 ports. One of the ports is connected to the WinXP host machine, another one to a Windows98 machine and another one goes to an embedded Linux system, called FoxBoard.

The router contains a DHCP server and when I switch on the above mentioned devices, all are being assigned an addresses in the range of 192.168.123.xxx (router itself has an "own" IP address of 192.168.123.254).

All connected PC's/systems have an address assigned in the range 192.168.123.xxx, so they're able to "see" each other (I can ping from my WinXP machine to my embedded Linux Foxboard, to my Windows98 machine and all vice versa too, so that's perfect).

When I used VMware, the virtual machine was also assigning an IP address of 192.168.123.xxx to the (Linux) virtual machine. So, again, all connected devices could "see" each other.

Now, when using VirtualBox, how do I have to set up my Virtual Machine (Kubuntu 7.10), such that I have the same behaviour as when I use VMware with the same Kubuntu distro?

Hope someone can give me an answer, otherwise I can't use VirtualBox at all, since I at least must be able to "see" my embedded Linux FoxBoard to download new applications using the ethernet connection.

Best rgds,

--Geert
GeertVc

Post by GeertVc »

Problem seems to be solved now. I recreated the bridge between the NIC and the VB host interface I created and now my VB virtual machine has an IP address in the range of my router (192.168.123.xxx).

I think I didn't do the bridging correct the other day...

Best rgds,

--Geert